3 (15.8%)
No
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

ossie85

Sam Mitchell

2010 Stats
Games: 18
Total Score: 1780 (Ranked 77th overall, 52nd amongst midfielders)
Average Score: 98.89 (Ranked 40th overall, 35th amongst midfielders)
High: 146 (Round 8 )
Low: 56 (Rounds 11)
Standard Deviation: 26.69
Centuries: 10 out of 18
Starting Price: $576,300
High Price: $576,300 (round 1)
Lowest Price: $463,100 (round 8 )

Summary:

At the start of the year I had backed Sam Mitchell to be a star, and Hawthorn to be closer to the dominant side of 2009. I was wrong on both accounts! Mitchell started the year off with a century, before 3 sub-70 scores from rounds 2-4, and missing the next 4 weeks, really, really put a dent in my season. I did keep the faith however, and was rewarded when he came back and scored 146 in round 9. His last 11 rounds yielded 8 centuries at an average of 102.

Controversy for him this year, with constant speculation over Hawthorn captaincy, with many wanting Luke Hodge to take over. I for one have nothing against Mitchell, he is a premiership captain, and captains the side well.

The Crystal Ball:

Based on last year's magic number

Price: $525,200
Position: MID

$50,000 cheaper than the start of last year is a fair representation in my opinion. Mitchell has the ability to score centuries every week, and is a quality player. What worried me a little was there some high-possession games that didn't translate to large SC scores. I.e in rounds 2, 3, 12, 21, and 22 he notched up 30 or more possesions, for scores of 64, 59, 100, 98 and 103 respectively. I think Mitchell will improve on his output in 2011.

Decision:

Mitchell is still expensive, and though I'm reasonably happy I kept the faith in him (saved me valuable trade), I will probably not select him next year, and could be an upgrade target.

hawk_88

Had a poor start to the season, but polled more Brownlow votes than I thought he would get.

When if comes to premium midfielders it is hard to go wrong, however to go right is tough. I think Mitchell will most likely improve to where he has been in the past which would mean 50K in growth from a premium, pretty good.

I think there were some external reasons for his poor showings, which were mainly poor due to ineffective disposal, brought on in part due to a dated gameplan and some missing personnel. Most of the ineffective disposals came from clearences, something the Hawks struggled with all year but especially in the first 8-10 rounds.

The downside is that he is willing to risk an ineffective disposal for the betterment of the team, a curse for many inside footballers and therefore fantasy coaches.

Worth going on the short list in my opinion.

DazBurg

benjy251090

most likely be him or burgoyne if i get one

hawk_88

Silk with a good preseason could be great pickup. Another one is Cyril could be another if he moves to the midfield full time.

Fletch74

Pre-season is the key as always with a player like Mitchell.

ossie85

His preseason was pretty good this year though :(

Fletch74

Quote from: ossie85 on September 22, 2010, 05:35:36 PM

His preseason was pretty good this year though :(
I know, I picked him on that basis, but I'm prepared to give him a second chance. The key is how all the other hawks on the short list go, b4 to whether he'll get picked.

BoredSaint

had him for the first half of this season which hurt me as he had a slow start..

Cant imagine how he gets 30+ possesions but doesnt get over 100 SC in some games though..

Boomz

thatguy

will be an undervalued premium next yr.

but with the likes of buddy, cyril, possibly burgoyne also in the mix he might get squeezed out of many teams.

Maca24

will see how his preseason goes. Am not to sure yet but I like his price

Master Q

Had him the Past 2 Seasons, but it looks like that streak will end in 2011.

Barlow 21

Hawka

nah better hawks middies will b burgoyne and hodgey i reckon nxt yr