2013 Player Profile: Daniel Currie

Started by Football Factory, November 27, 2012, 09:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

Daniel Currie - North Melbourne

POSITION: Ruckman

HEIGHT: 200cm     WEIGHT: 93kg

FANPLANNER PRICE: $101,600

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HISTORY:

2007 (Sydney) Played a handfull of games with the reserves in the Canberra AFL competition before being hampered by a groin injury

2008  Was the obvious successor to the retired Peter Everitt and had been groomed to partner Darren Jolly

2009  The Swans had high hopes for the emerging young ruckman, who looked certain to break into the senior side until he had injury problems

2010  Spent a third season as a development player after injuries had slowed his progress. Was outstanding in several matches for the reserves. Was delisted before the start of the 2011 season

2011  Won the NEAFL League B & F in 2011 showing great improvement since departing the Swans

2012  (North Melbourne Pick 56)   Daniel spent some time in Sydney and had a very good year for North Adelaide in the SANFL. We thought he was the best fit for us in terms of State League ruckmen. He’s still only 23

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Sydney Swans Senior Listed player (2007-2011) has great athleticism as well as strong hands in marking situations. Very direct with hit-outs as well as follow up work when the ball hits the ground.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Draft pick Currie to pressure Daw

While North Melbourne's athletic Sudanese-born ruckman Majak Daw is finally on the AFL club's senior list, the Kangaroos have given him some extra competition.

Concerned the recent departure of Hamish McIntosh to Geelong left them thin in the ruck, North punted on Daniel Currie - an athletic big man who spent five years on Sydney's list without playing an AFL game before joining SANFL club North Adelaide last year - at Thursday night's national draft.

Bucking the trend of chasing new talent, Currie was one of three players drafted by the Kangaroos who have spent time at other clubs, along with Ben Jacobs (Port Adelaide) and Taylor Hine (Gold Coast).

Recruiting manager Bryce Lewis said 200cm 23-year-old Currie, taken at pick 56, would battle Daw, upgraded from the rookie list on Thursday night, and untried 20-year-old Ben Mabon to be the main support act to No.1 ruckman Todd Goldstein.

"We just wanted to get another ruckman in to ensure that we've solidified that position," Lewis said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-23/draft-pick-currie-to-pressure-daw/4389006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERDICT:  Can he get into the team ahead of Daw and Mabon ? On the upside he is a bit older and more experienced when it comes to playing in the ruck.

PREDICTION: I dont know   ;D   ..See what happens in the Nab ..

SydneyRox

Will be a really good option if he gets named Rnd1. Was always talked up at the Swans, but injury and then Mummy/Seaby and the team structure did nothing to help him get a game.

Holz

I cant see him playing unless goldy goes down injured. Im staying away from currie daw mabon but if goldy goes down i will trade him to however gets named as they will be the number 1 ruck.

I just hope as a roo fan and a Goldy owner it wont come to that.

Kellogscrunchynut

Would rather Daw get the second ruck role, but as long as either has efficient job security I'll be happy.

Mr.Craig

I put together Currie's DT scores in the SANFL the other day...

53, 68, 38, 42, 56, 121, 67, 86, 83, 103, 70, 92, 25, 93, 82, 49, 79, 64, 61, 75 and 93

Average: 71.4

Football Factory

Good work Mr.Craig thankyou .. Competition between players for spots isn't good for our dreamteams, sorta wish Currie didnt get picked up cos i had Daw pretty much locked in.

Capper

I am really glad that Currie found another club to join, but i think behind Goldy and Daw he may struggle to get some game time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He is gonna need 5-6 years to develop before he gets a game

stew42

Quote from: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ on November 29, 2012, 03:14:38 AM
WHAT??? He's been on the Swans' list for 4 years! Won the NEAFL B&F! Read the article mate!

Capper

Quote from: stew42 on November 29, 2012, 02:05:43 PM
Quote from: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ on November 29, 2012, 03:14:38 AM
WHAT??? He's been on the Swans' list for 4 years! Won the NEAFL B&F! Read the article mate!
agree, injury ruined his time at the swans but now after the B&F he will be fine hopefully

Capper

i actually think the Swans are a little ruck weak atm with only Mummy and Pyke so Currie would have been nice if he was still there