2013 Player Profile: Nathan Vardy

Started by Football Factory, December 26, 2012, 04:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

Nathan Vardy - Geelong

POSITION: Ruck

OFFICIAL PRICE FOR 2013: $209,200 (30% DISCOUNT)

HEIGHT: 198cm       WEIGHT: 98kg

2011 GAMES: 9       AVERAGE: 47

2012 GAMES: 1       AVERAGE: 58

HISTORY:

2009    Vardy was drafted by the Geelong Football Club with their fourth selection, and was the forty-second overall draft pick in the 2009 AFL Draft. He is a mobile ruckman with good skills and a fierce competitive drive. Vardy played four games for Vic Country at the 2009 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and finished equal fourth overall for hit-outs to advantage (13) and fifth for total hit-outs (59).

2010    Played in Geelong reserves team

2011   He was selected to make his debut for the Geelong Football Club in Round 9 2011 against the Carlton Blues. Vardy injured his hip against Adelaide Crows in round 21 in 2011, and was out for a calendar year.

2012   He made his return on September 1 against Sydney Swans after proving his fitness in VFL level (scored 58). Played in the first final against Fremantle, took a knock to his knee very early in the first quarter (scored 38)

VERDICT: Geelong are big wraps for this young ruckman highlighted when they brought him in for round 23 vs Sydney and then their first final against Fremantle after showing great form in the VFL. Hasn't had a good run yet due to injury. Should get games in 2013 but with the arrival of H.Mac how many is the question ? Will the pressure of having Scarlett's old number affect him ? i wouldnt think so if anything it will inspire him.

PREDICTION: We should see an increase in his average 55-70 is not beyond this talented young player, can go forward and kick goals. At $209,200 with West and H.Mac ahead of him i dont hink he is worth the money unless they have a different role set for him within the team.

Geelong endorses Nathan Vardy by handing him Matthew Scarlett's No.30

GEELONG has shown their faith in young big man Nathan Vardy by handing the 11-game player the No.30 jumper worn by triple-premiership defender Matthew Scarlett.

The 21-year-old Vardy, who stands 198cm, battled a hip problem in 2012 and played only two senior games.

Scarlett retired after the 2012 season following a 284-game career that included six All-Australian selections and one best and fairest trophy.

Former North Melbourne ruckman Hamish McIntosh will wear the No.17 jumper following Shannon Byrnes' move to Melbourne, while ex-Demon Jared Rivers will take No.25 after Tom Gillies was delisted.

The Cats have given delisted former ruckman Orren Stephenson's No.23 jumper to ex-Gold Coast midfielder Josh Caddy, according to the geelongcats.com.au website.

Rookie-listed big man Josh Walker will take No.34, as worn by his grandfather Peter Walker in the Cats' 1963 premiership side.

The Cats will give numbers 36 and 40 to their two recruits in the November 22 national draft.

Vardy wore No.36 and retired premiership defender David Wojcinski wore No.40.

jabroni

would giving scarletts number mean hes a best 22 player?

Football Factory

Quote from: jabroni on December 26, 2012, 07:25:48 PM
would giving scarletts number mean hes a best 22 player?
You would think so but what sort of role does he play ? Surely West and H.Mac are ahead of him

tbagrocks

There's not a whole lot of point in Hmac playing forward, Geelong however could go three talls and a A Ruckman, meaning West/ Vardy/Hmac could be fighting for two spots

Holz

Hmac cant play up front he needs to be the sole ruck and gellong and north both realise that. It means vardy or west will likely be fighting for a forward line spot with abit of pinch hitting in the ruck. If hmac goes down (which is very possible) than they may both get a gig.

If he was F/R i would consider him in my forward line bench but being R only i cant justify him being r3, at this stage.

mezzoculo

Best scenario for Vardy is if the Cats start the season playing he and West while HMac fully recovers from his knee injury (the Cats have a long track record of cautious player management). If Vardy can make the most of this opportunity then - given his ability to play forward - he and HMac could be an effective combination.

youl_R_FCK

I think pods will be under the gun this year. could end up like Mooney