Brett Goodes

Started by Football Factory, December 11, 2012, 07:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

Dogs got the Goodes

The Western Bulldogs have this morning selected running defender Brett Goodes as a rookie in the 2012 AFL Rookie Draft.

With over 100 VFL games to his name, Goodes has established himself as one of the state leagues’ elite.

He comes to the Kennel following an impressive 2012 Season with the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate Williamstown, where the 28-year-old gained state team honours and was named on the half-back flank in the VFL Team of the Year

Watch Brett Goodes train with the Western Bulldogs playing group at the Dogs' Christmas Open Training session on Monday 17th December 2012.

Renowned for his fierce attack on the football, Western Bulldogs Recruiting Manager Simon Dalrymple said Goodes would provide a high level of competitiveness and physical maturity to the developing group.

“Brett is an outstanding footballer and a ruthless competitor who brings the capacity to play in multiple areas of the ground - predominantly in the back half,” Dalrymple said.

“We see Brett’s kicking ability in the back half of the ground as being a real asset for the team.

“Today’s selection is a strategic one building on our recent selections of five 18 year olds in the AFL National Draft.

“Brett’s inclusion will not only bring a physical boost to our developing team - he also brings an injection of  raw competitiveness.”

Prior to playing a pivotal role in guiding the Seagulls to  a second successive finals campaign in 2012 - Goodes played for VFL powerhouse North Ballarat in back-to-back premierships in 2008 and 2009 going within two votes of winning the Liston Trophy as the league's best and fairest player in 2008.

Prior to his stint at North Ballarat, Goodes played for SANFL club Port Adelaide.

In 2010, Goodes moved to Darwin to continue his playing career at the NT Thunder while combining and off-field role with AFL Northern Territory  as an indigenous development officer.

One year later Goodes returned to Victoria to take up his current position at the Western Bulldogs as Player Wellbeing Manager, while taking on an on-field leadership role with Williamstown.

Goodes was a key member of the Seagulls' 2011 VFL Grand Final side and victorious Foxtel Cup team

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/152295/default.aspx

MTTY

Great write up FF, i am very keen on seeing his Nab Cup and if he can get into the team.

Football Factory

Could be a nice addition to our backlines for 2013   :)

Windigo

If he is anything like another Goodes I'll be happy.  8)

kilbluff1985

No reason he shouldn't be named round one lock him in

Mr.Craig

Football Factory

newfreofan

Unit! That pic reminds me of that bombers rookie, Marigliano

tbagrocks

Could he be like Horsely and the people that don't have him lose out big time? You would think he will play and be a solid cow maybe even like Clarke/Big O last year almost be great bench cover all year :D

Justin Bieber

If he can slim a little, then I'm keen!

kilbluff1985

Quote from: whatlez on December 11, 2012, 09:05:44 PM

I got no idea what an ideal weight for him would be but he is only 94kg according to Mr Craig

Justin Bieber

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 11, 2012, 09:08:17 PM

I got no idea what an ideal weight for him would be but he is only 94kg according to Mr Craig
He looks a little beefy for me.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: whatlez on December 11, 2012, 09:12:25 PM

Isn't that a good thing for a back men? Does not seem to affect him judging by the write up

Justin Bieber

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on December 11, 2012, 09:18:58 PM
Quote from: whatlez on December 11, 2012, 09:12:25 PM

Isn't that a good thing for a back men? Does not seem to affect him judging by the write up
Why is he only just getting a game?

kilbluff1985

How am I meant to know lol

Sometimes decent players get overlooked and turn into pretty good players when they get older but its probably because they are desperate for an experienced defender