This or That? - Nic Nat vs Todd Goldy

Started by elephants, October 20, 2012, 05:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

So you want a #1 ruckmen, eh? Keep reading then!

Nic Naitunui - West Coast Eagles

Price: $442,500

2011 Average: 75.1

2012 Average: 86

Standard Deviation: 20.47

Todd Goldstein - North Melbourne

Price: $407,000

2011 Average: 99.3

2012 Average: 79.1 (sub affected)

Standard Deviation: 27.42

Hmmm, interesting. So the up and comer or the proven performer. Lets have a closer look at the big things that matter!

Price: Goldy. For a touch under 40k that could be a basement rookie into a first rounder or an almost premium into an elite.

Scoring Ability: Both have big ceilings. The SC gun in Nic Nat knocked up an 136, 124 and 111 against Carlton, Brisbane and Geelong. Goldy proved he is no push-over with 140 against Brisbane. Nic Nat has more scores over 110 but Goldy has more in the 100-110 range. Gotta be a draw.

Consistency: Well the standard deviation calculations show that Nic Nat is more consistent although when you factor in vests for Goldy it must again be judged a draw.

Durability: Haha again! Both these players have missed just 4 matches in the past 3 years. DRAW!

Being Sub: Well, no chance for both. Draw!?

Verdict... Well these blokes are so alike but solely based on price you have to go Todd Goldstein! You could be excused for wanting Nic Nat though. Has increased his output every year by 9, 14 and 11 (from his first, second and third seasons).

... Alas,

1. Goldy
2. Nic Nat

Adamant

Awesome work mate!

Goldy is a lock for me at that price. NicNat is a gun, but Goldy being 40k cheaper is a no-brainer. 8)

Toga

great write up ele!

i always thought i would probably look at nicnat as my R1 in 2013, but the trade of Hmac to geelong had raised some questions in my mind about whether goldy might be the better choice... but, after the AFL bought in the new rule changes about no wrestling for rucks and all that, i think nic will just become that much more valuable to west coast next year with his leaping ability, and will surely lift his DT output as a result.

i think i'll probably be going nicnat! ::)

Ricochet

I'm torn on these two. Nic Nat has so much potential to rip the game apart one day, but Goldy has such value.
Really hoping I'll have enough cash left over to have Leuy at R3... I doubt it though

elephants

Quote from: Adamant on October 20, 2012, 05:40:42 PM
Awesome work mate!

Goldy is a lock for me at that price. NicNat is a gun, but Goldy being 40k cheaper is a no-brainer. 8)

Thanks mate, it's something to think about ;)

Quote from: Toga on October 20, 2012, 06:26:33 PM
great write up ele!

i always thought i would probably look at nicnat as my R1 in 2013, but the trade of Hmac to geelong had raised some questions in my mind about whether goldy might be the better choice... but, after the AFL bought in the new rule changes about no wrestling for rucks and all that, i think nic will just become that much more valuable to west coast next year with his leaping ability, and will surely lift his DT output as a result.

i think i'll probably be going nicnat! ::)

Cheers champ! Yeah that's a great point which esced my mind tbh. Really considering Nic Nat now haha!

Quote from: Ricochet on October 20, 2012, 06:32:20 PM
I'm torn on these two. Nic Nat has so much potential to rip the game apart one day, but Goldy has such value.
Really hoping I'll have enough cash left over to have Leuy at R3... I doubt it though

In a similar position... A lot will depend on the nab but I envision Leu playing a lot of forward with Hudson and Longer rotating through the ruck... Might be too tall but Voss has done weirder things ::) :P

Torpedo10

Goldy in DT, Nic Nat & Goldy in SC with Leuy.

henry

I was always going to have nic nat as R1 but now that Goldy's 40k cheaper and hmac's gone to Geelong I am leaning towards him slightly. Good write up.

aces-high

Quote from: Torpedo10 on October 20, 2012, 07:01:13 PM
Goldy in DT, Nic Nat & Goldy in SC with Leuy.
I'm doing the exact same thing mate!

Colliwobblers

subject to change but

DT: Maric - Burger ( Daw -  ? )

SC: NicNat - Burger ( Daw - ? )

great write up , Goldy put me off late in 2012, great tap ruckman and scores well in SC as his Hit outs to advantage are high but not a lot of cheap or even hard DT possessions, he can and did have a lot of lower DT scores last season, but then in 2011 he did not have those lows so a good pick you would think in either competition , like any player subject to the odd bad score.

NicNat for me I think is finally good enough to add consistency to his superstar SPIKES games and be a safe pcik with plenty of upside and less downside with his added consistency.

Shihan7

Quote from: henry on October 20, 2012, 08:31:23 PM
I was always going to have nic nat as R1 but now that Goldy's 40k cheaper and hmac's gone to Geelong I am leaning towards him slightly. Good write up.
+1 Hmac's move has slightly puts Goldy in front of NicNat.

Windigo

Would really like to see a decent showing in NAB cup before committing to Goldstein.  :-\

Always think of Nic as a dominant SC player, not a DT option. But this year he may elevate his game to become a legitimate DT ruck, but I see him as more of an impact player. 

Capper

Nicely done Le.

Its Goldy for me as well, NicNat more an SC player than DT

The F.A.R.K.

what if it had a flat bottom?

just have both?

Colliwobblers

Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on October 22, 2012, 03:16:56 PM
what if it had a flat bottom?

just have both?

I would recommend this most excellent advice especially in SC, except can you go past Burger at his price if he has a full preseason and is fit....

Cicjose

Quote from: elephants on October 20, 2012, 05:16:46 PM

Price: Goldy. For a touch under 40k that could be a basement rookie into a first rounder or an almost premium into an elite.

at that price LOCKED ;)