Reece Conca - Richmond Tigers

Position: BACK

Price: $342,800 (Fanplanner)

2011 Games: 17

2012 Games: 18

2011 Average: 55.4

2012 Average: 72.9

2012 Tons: 2

Summary: He has all the makings of an incredible DT pick. Young, high draft pick, going into his third year breakout period, plays in an improving side, magnet as a junior, listed as a backmen while playing a fair bit up the ground and he's hard at it. All these attributs hold the #5 draft pick in excellent stead for the next 8-10 years! On top of this he has managed a lovely 20 point per game increase on last years tally and that is with some vests included!?

Verdict: Pass/Shortlist. Although I think he is a quality player I feel as though he is a bit overpriced. You never know though, plenty of backmen becoming midfielders only next season...

Ele's prediction: Average of 81.

Adamant

Great writeup. On my radar, but probably wont make my team unless he dominates NAB Cup. 80+ average for that price would be great though.

elephants

Quote from: Adamant on September 09, 2012, 07:28:57 PM
Great writeup. On my radar, but probably wont make my team unless he dominates NAB Cup. 80+ average for that price would be great though.

Thanks mate! I'm looking at the roughies more than the premiums as everyone knows who they are :P I think Reece could push his average beyond that 80 barrier but needs to push up more and stop playing on the oppositions small forwards :P

roti

don't think i could start him as a tiges supporter.
he isnt in our top echelon of midfielders as of yet so is a role player, when he plays as a pure mid will average 80 but is given too many roles at this stage to consistently hit that 80+ mark

elephants

Quote from: roti on September 09, 2012, 07:33:33 PM
don't think i could start him as a tiges supporter.
he isnt in our top echelon of midfielders as of yet so is a role player, when he plays as a pure mid will average 80 but is given too many roles at this stage to consistently hit that 80+ mark

Very fair call. If he can take up a Newman-esque role off halfback his numbers should increase. The Tigers midfield is looking scarily good :P

Toga

great work ele!

is also on my radar.. I don't think I will fit him in, I would rather look at a Bock-esque type player than him i think. but I will watch closely during NAB.

Also as a tigers supporter I can see the tigers beginning to develop him in a run-with/tagging type role so thats something to be wary of next season...

Could go boom... or bust ::)

elephants

Quote from: Toga on September 09, 2012, 07:41:41 PM
great work ele!

is also on my radar.. I don't think I will fit him in, I would rather look at a Bock-esque type player than him i think. but I will watch closely during NAB.

Also as a tigers supporter I can see the tigers beginning to develop him in a run-with/tagging type role so thats something to be wary of next season...

Could go boom... or bust ::)

Yeah also very true. I think he's a more boom than bust player but you never really know :P

Capper

i didnt start any tigers last year due to their draw (apart from Ellis) and by the end i had a couple of them.

Will be interesting to see their draw this year and Ronca would be the only tiger to get in the def

Spinking

I'm a big fan of Conca, and have been considering him as a unique Def 5 or 6. Bit more expensive than I was hoping for, so will be watching his final price. Expecting an increased output and greater consistency in 2013.

henry

Jumped on him last year (for grimes would you believe  ::)) after some good scores from him only to be let down, should have known better though. Not for me this year but one for the future.

Shihan7

Started with him this year, very frsutrating, but can see him improving again next year. Will keep an eye on NAB form.

roti

I've rewatched some of Richmond's games from this year and looking at richmond's potential best 22, im going to go back on what i said earlier, i think he will breakout this year, and i think he will play midfield.
Richmond's backline could potentially look something like this:
FB: Morris, Chaplin, Grimes
HB: Houli Griffiths Rance
INT: Batchelor, Newman
No room for Conca there, the picture is just as full in the forward line.
Watching him play this year, his role was filling gaps either down back or down forward, with runs in the midfield when he wasnt required. with the depth we added this year i don't think he will need to play those roles anymore. he showed when he did play full time midfield after foley went down he does have some awesome potential, his game against melbourne particularly sticks in my mind, dominated. I think he will breakout next season, most tiger supporters agree. I think he can average 85+, was suprised he managed to average 72 this year didn't perform as well as i hoped he would. He's not in my team at the moment due to structure, but if he's having a good preseason and the real prices come out and im 100k short, he could very well be getting a gig.

Toga

but do you think there's room in our midfield?

Cotchin, Deledio, Dusty, Tucky, Foles, Grigg, and even Knights, Ellis, Titch Edwards and Brad Helbig.

I agree that he looks good in the midfield, especially running off of a wing for me, but I'm just not sure he will fir into the midfield with those sorts of players there.

Looking at that backline you've listed there, you've put in four talls on the field - i can only see us taking Grimes, Chaplin and Rance into games otherwise we have too many big men there, maybe shove Griffiths up to CHF. Which means you can add Newy or Concs to a HBF there, i reckon that's where he'll play a majority of his footy in 2013 tbh. Probably will have occasional stints in the midfield/wing swapping with Grigg but I think until tucky and foles retire he'll only get restricted midfield time unfortunately.

roti

I think he is infront of knights, ellis, titch and helbig in getting a mid-spot, dusty at this stage is a part time mid as well, definitely think he can be part of our midfield rotation. On the backline thing, i don't think they would have recruited chaplin if it meant not playing griffiths, so unless they intend to play him forward i can see them playing the 4 of them. keep in mind rance and grimes don't have to play as talls, wouldn't work every week but i can see chaplin/griff playing on the two big talls, grimes on the third and rance in a more rebounding role. Even if they play 3 talls only i can still see a spot for concs in the middle

FB: Morris Chaplin Grimes
HB: Houli Rance Batchelor
C: Grigg Cotchin Conca
HF: Deledio Griffiths Knights
FF: Martin Reiwoldt Vickery
FOL: Maric Tuck Foley
INT: Newman, Ellis, S.Edwards, Nahas

Think Newman and Ellis are more likely to go down back. Time will tell i guess, ill be watching with interest!

Toga

Yeah fair enough, all the points you make are valid. Does that mean Rance might become a good option in DT then? :o

Don't reckon I'll be taking the punt on Conca though.. As you said, could be a good gap-filler if i can't quite afford a birchall or someone when finalising my team :)