All Time Fantasy Draft: Clubs

Started by AFEV, September 05, 2012, 06:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Quote from: BratPack on October 05, 2012, 11:54:33 AM
Wow. I really wasn't expecting him to fall to me at #3. But I'll take John Coleman with many thanks
Was a toss up between the 2 and already having one forward decided on a ruck at this stage.

DazBurg

ok for my pick

Bill Hutchison

Recruited by Essendon from local league side Essendon Stars, where he had played chiefly as a wingman, Bill Hutchison developed into one of the greatest rovers the game has seen. Initially though, the Dons used him as a half forward flanker, which was where he lined up for most of his debut season of 1942, including that year's winning grand final against Richmond. Hutchison had a quiet game that day, but next time he appeared in a grand final, in 1946, he put in the sort of tireless, elegant, pacy performance that was to become his trademark as the Dons crushed Melbourne by 63 points.

Hutchison won the first of seven Essendon best and fairest awards in 1946, by which time he was already a stalwart in VFL representative sides, for which he made a near record 30 appearances, earning All Australian selection in 1953 and 1956. Despite a propensity to 'backchat' to umpires, he almost invariably polled well in the Brownlow, finally breaking through for a win in 1953 after missing out only on countback the previous year. In 1989 the VFL retrospectively awarded him, as well as all other countback losers, a 1952 Medal also, but sadly Bill Hutchison had by this time passed away. His volubility notwithstanding, few players in history have so admirably and consistently conformed to both requirements for receiving Brownlow Medal votes, for Bill Hutchison was as impeccably fair as he was brilliant.

Always a dangerous player near goal, Hutchison averaged nearly two goals a game over the course of his sixteen season, 290 game VFL career, during which he took part in no fewer than nine grand finals for five flags. Despite his small stature, he managed to remain remarkably injury free, a tribute both to his speed of movement and adroitness of mind.

Perhaps the greatest disappointment of Hutchison's career was that, after he replaced Dick Reynolds as Essendon's captain in 1951 he was unable to emulate his predecessor by leading the club to a premiership. Nevertheless, few players, either at Essendon or elsewhere, have enjoyed such illustrious careers at football's highest level.

Essendon premiership side: 1942, 1946, 1949â€"1950
    Essendon captain: 1951â€"1957
    Brownlow Medal winner: 1952 and 1953
    Essendon best and fairest: 1946, 1948, 1950, 1952, 1955â€"1956
    Essendon Team of the century
    Australian Football Hall of Fame member (legend status)
    All-Australian Team: 1953 and 1956

Boomz

James Hird

Despite being arguably the greatest Canberra born footballer in the history of the game, one shudders to imagine just how noteworthy James Hird's achievements might have been were it not for his frequent misfortune with injury. After joining Essendon from Ainslie in 1992 he made a comparatively slow start to his AFL career, but from the time he received a Norwich Rising Star nomination in 1993 things began to pick up appreciably, and by the time he retired at the end of the 2007 season there was scarcely an honour in the elite game that he had failed to achieve. Joint Brownlow Medallist in 1996, AFL All Australian on five occasions, Norm Smith Medal winner and premiership captain in 2000, Essendon club champion five times and twice the club's leading goal kicker, captain of Australia at International Rules in 2000 - the list runs on and on. However, as mentioned above, he also suffered more than his fair share of serious injuries, forcing him to miss virtually the entire 1997 and 1999 seasons, and seriously undermining his effectiveness in 2002. When at peak fitness, however, there was no more valuable or eye catching a player in football. Playing nominally as a centre half forward, Hird enjoyed a 'license to roam' which could see him bob up almost anywhere on the ground to telling effect. Despite sometimes appearing almost lackadaisical in his approach, he was actually one of the most energetic and hard working players around, racking up possessions seemingly at will, and invariably using the ball with scrupulous efficiency. His career at Essendon saw him play a total of 253 AFL games and kick 343 goals, both of which tallies would, but for injury, have been considerably higher. He returned to Essendon as coach in 2011, taking the Bombers to the finals in his first season.

and...

Albert Thurgood
Originally played football at Brighton Grammar School before commencing his senior career in 1892, when he joined Essendon. Albert the Great as he was known, was an all round football champion of the highest order, and arguably the games first true superstar.
Tall and magnificently built, Thurgood could play in any position on the ground and was extraordinarily fast. It was said that he could run 100 yards in even time. His high marking was superb, his ground work robust, and he was said to be as nimble and agile as a hare. Like a true champion he rarely had an off day and he could kick brilliantly with every type of kick imaginable.
He was particularly renowned for his prodigious kicking, being recorded on one occasion as producing a place kick of 98.48 metres, or 107 yards 2 feet 1 inch. One of his drop kicks was allegedly measured at 82.3 metres, or 90 yards.
Thurgood played with Essendon from 1892 to 1894 and again from 1899 to 1902 and in 1906. He spent the 1895-6-7 seasons in Western Australia with Fremantle during a time when it arguably boasted the strongest team in the land. During his stint there he topped the WAFA goal kicking list on three consecutive occasions between 1895 and 1897, helping the side lift premierships in the first two of those years.

I didn't really need Thurgood considering later picks I have in mind but I couldn't let him past me either so he'll go in the pocket for now. Hirdy will go on a wing.

FB: ___ Jack Regan ___
HB: ___ Paul Roos ___
C: James Hird Greg Williams ___
HF: Garry Wilson ___ Craig Bradley
FF: Albert Thurgood ___ ___
R: ___ ___ ___
I/C: ___ ___ ___

DazBurg

well there are still a few i could of picked but i couldn't go past picking my all time favorite player
so i pick
Paul Salmon

Paul Salmon
Played 324 games, kicking 561 goals for Essendon 1983-1995, 2002, and Hawthorn 1996-2000
Played in 18 finals, kicking 37 goals
109 Brownlow Medal votes
State representative on 14 occasions
International Rules representative on two occasions
Premierships 1985, 1993
Hawthorn best and fairest 1996, 1997
Captained his club on 23 occasions
Leading club goalkicker 1984, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993
All-Australian 1987, 1988, 1997
Pre-season premierships 1990, 1994, 1999
Michael Tuck Medallist 1999
Member of Hawthorn Team of the Century

PAUL Salmon, otherwise known as 'The Big Fish', enters the AFL Hall of Fame after a stellar 20-year career that began in 1983 and ended in 2002 after a remarkable Kevin Sheedy-inspired comeback.

The former North Ringwood ruckman played his first game for Essendon in round one, 1983, against the Sydney Swans. He would go on to play 224 games for the Bombers; 209 of which were recorded between 1983 and 1995 before he moved for Hawthorn for five seasons.

After playing 100 games and winning two best and fairest awards during his time in the brown and gold, Salmon retired at the end of 2000 with two premierships, seven club leading goalkicker awards and three All-Australian guernseys to his name.

In what was a stunning curtain call to his illustrious career, Salmon was then lured out of retirement by Essendon coach Sheedy, and drafted to the Bombers for one final season in 2002.

He played 15 games that year after re-entering the league as a 37-year-old, and was an influential figure in the Bombers' finals campaign that ended at the hands of Port Adelaide in the second week.

Salmon's career was all the more remarkable considering he suffered heartbreak in just his second year as a Bomber. A season-ending knee injury sustained in round 13, 1984, saw the big ruckman miss the club's premiership win that September and threatened his career.

He made up for it in stunning fashion by winning premiership medallions in 1985 and 1993.

Torpedo10

Hirdy & Coleman gun picks 3 & 5. Hutchison is also a great pick.

BratPack

Ringo

I select Tim Watson to complete my half forward line. May move him as ruck rover later if need be for balance

A brilliant, creative half forward and later ruck rover, he started in 1977 at the age of fifteen years and nine months after coming from Dimboola.  He was one of the youngest ever players for the Dons. By 1980 his superb ball skills, pace and balance combined to make him one of the League's mosts dynamic players.

He is a strong, aggressive, explosive player and fans would roar with excitement whenever he went near the ball.  He is a totally unassuming champion. He was Essendon's vice-captain from 1982 and was acting captain for some of 1982. He won the Dons' best and fairest award in 1980 and 1985 and was runner up in the award in 1982 (equal) and 1983.

In 1980 he was favourite to win the Brownlow Medal but polled disappointingly to finish third. He was the Dons' second top vote scorer in that year, being outpolled by Merv Neagle. He was also the Dons' top vote scorer in the award in 1982 with 15 votes.

He finished his career with 307 games and 335 goals. He was Essendon's second top goalkicker in 1980 and third top in 1979.  He kicked seven goals in a game in 1979. He had the breathtaking ability to change a game in midstream and is at his best did it in big games. He starred as a ruck rover in both the 1984 and 1985 premiership wins, after being knocked unconscious early in the 1983 grand final.

He was also best on the ground in the 1981 night premiership win and starred on the half forward flank in the 1984 night premiership win. Fans still talk about his superb single handed swerving, hurdling match winning goal in the 1981 night grand final.

He represented Victoria in 1980 at the age of nineteen and he was the second youngest State player ever in League history.   He also represented the State in 1983 and 1985.  He was vice captain in 1985. Watson was lured out of retirement and was a member of Essendon's 1993 premiership side.

Team Structure:
FB: ___ _____  ___
HB: ___ ______ Nathan Buckley
C: ___  Michael Voss ___
HF: Allan Ruthven; Tim Watson; Alex Jesaulenko
FF: ___ ___  Peter Daicos
R:Simon Madden  ___ ___
I/C: Robert Walls ___ ___

AFEV

Jack Clarke for me. My midfield was looking weak and have added 2 of the finest  midfielders Essendon have ever produced so quite pleased with that. I'll be doing profiles for my players tonight. About time I did. :P

B: _______, Geoff Southby, _______
HB: _______, Albert Collier, Bruce Doull
C: _______, Jack Clarke, _______
HF: _______, Bernie Quinlan, _______
F: Jack Moriarty, Gordon Coventry, _______
R: _______, Dick Reynolds, _______

Ringo

With first pick for Geelong you can not go past "God" Gary Ablett Snr

Gary Ablett, a truly gifted football player, recruited from Myrtleford by Bill McMaster who witnessed enough ‘magic’ to suggest he would fit into Geelong’s plans after a short stint at Hawthorn. For 12 years he displayed his awesome ability, there was no skill he did not possess, his marking at times spectacular as it was breathtaking, with a mighty leap he was literally flying to meet the ball securing it in a vice like grip. He had a powerful build, which enabled him to shrug off his opponents or burst through a pack, with the ability to kick goals from over 60 metres with monotonous regularity. With the excitement he generated supporters and football followers travelled many kilometres to see him play and they were never disappointed. Gary had the capability of winning a game off his own boot and inspired his teammates with the special genius of his play. His performance in the 1989 Grand Final was brilliant as he displayed the best facets of Australian Football that day. He has left a legacy wherein Gary Ablett is one of the greatest players to have played the game.

Team Structure:
FB: ___ _____  ___
HB: ___ ______ Nathan Buckley
C: ___  Michael Voss ___
HF: Allan Ruthven; Alex Jesaulenko; Gary Ablett Snr
FF: ___ ___  Peter Daicos
R:Simon Madden  ___ ___
I/C: Robert Walls; Tim Watson ___

BratPack

Ringo Please. There can be only one, my pick. Graham "Polly" Farmer

DazBurg

i'll take Bernie Smith

A centreman during his career with West Adelaide as well as during the early part of his VFL stint with Geelong, Bernie Smith is better remembered as one of the greatest back pockets in the history of the game. Moved to the back pocket by coach Reg Hickey in 1951, he went on to win both the club best and fairest award and the Brownlow Medal that same season, while for good measure he was among the Cats' best in their grand final defeat of Essendon.
Smith was ideally suited to a back pocket because he was pacy, had good ground skills, marked well, was always cool under pressure, and had superb judgement. Opposition coaches came to view him as Geelong's first line of attack, and in what was a virtually unprecedented move for the times he was often subjected to what would now be called tagging.
Bernie Smith played 55 games with West Adelaide between 1945 and 1947, winning a best and fairest award in his final season. His last game for Westies was the winning grand final of 1947 against Norwood, in which he was widely acknowledged as the best player afield. He won two best and fairest trophies during 183 games in eleven seasons with Geelong, played in two premiership sides, was named in the inaugural All Australian team after the 1953 Adelaide carnival, and was captain of the Cats for part of 1950 and the whole of 1954. In 2001, he was selected in the back pocket in Geelong's official 'Team of the Century' having five years earlier been allocated the same position in the equivalent V/AFL combination.

West Adelaide premiership player 1947
    Geelong premiership player 1951, 1952
    Brownlow Medal 1951
    Trabilsie Medal 1947
    Carji Greeves Medal 1951, 1956
    All-Australian team 1953
    Geelong captain 1954
    Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee 1996
    AFL Team of the Century (back pocket)
    Geelong Team of the Century (back pocket)
    South Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee 2002

Boomz

Only due to needs but I'll take Gary Ablett Junior

AFEV

Boomz

Really hard choice but have to go George Moloney.

DazBurg

ok my pick is
Edward Goderich "Carji" Greeves, Junior

Glorying in the memorably distinctive nickname 'Carji', Edward Goodrich Greeves was immortalised when, in 1924, he won the first ever Brownlow Medal awarded to the best and fairest player in the Victorian Football League.

The name 'Carji' was reputedly bestowed on Greeves by a friend of the family, Michael Scott, a golfer from New South Wales. When Scott visited the Greeves family shortly after the youngster's birth, he thought he could detect a resemblance between the infant, who was allegedly quite dark-skinned, and a famous local entertainer who went by the name of 'Carjilo, the Rajah of Bong'. The nickname 'Carji' stuck, perhaps in part because it provided a convenient way to distinguish between the boy and his father, himself a former Geelong footballer of note, who also went by the name of Edward.

A natural sportsman, Edward Greeves excelled at cricket, tennis and rowing, but most especially at football. Geelong wanted him to line up for them while he was still at school, but the school authorities refused to allow it. He had to wait until 1923 to make his debut, quickly developing into one of the most eye-catching centremen in the game.

The prime reason that Greeves was so eye-catching was his kicking style, which was said to be one of the most classically perfect ever seen. Schoolboys all over Geelong would practise for hours trying to emulate it. Moreover, in an era when genuinely two-sided footballers were the exception rather than the rule, Greeves could kick with either foot with almost equal facility and expertise.

In 1924, the twenty year old Greeves' career blossomed when he was selected to represent the VFL at the Hobart carnival and, of course, won the inaugural Brownlow. With his elegant style of play ensuring that he always caught the umpire's eye, Greeves also later ran second in the Medal on three occasions in an era when only the best player afield received votes.

In 1928, well over half a century before Darren Bennett, Greeves spent nearly seven months in the USA, four of them as kicking coach for the University of Southern California's gridiron team, the Trojans (and not the University of South Carolina, as many sources wrongly suggest). Although he was not the first Australian footballer to have an impact on the American game - that honour resides with Pat O'Dea - he was the first such footballer to be deliberately 'head-hunted' by the Americans, and the first to travel to the USA for purposes specifically and exclusively to do with gridiron. While in California, Greeves was reportedly a great success, earning a gold medal for his services, and was indeed offered the opportunity to remain, but the 1929 VFL season saw him resuming his career with the Cats, for whom he went on to play a total of 137 games in eleven seasons, with premierships in 1925 and 1931 the highlights.

Brownlow Medal, 1924
    Runner-up Brownlow Medal 1925, 1926, 1928
    Geelong premiership player 1925, 1931
    Inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame
    Geelong Team of the Century