Callan Ward

Started by meow meow, March 03, 2012, 02:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meow meow

Calling it now: Ward will be in the top 10 mids this year. Maybe even the top 6.

Averaged 104.5 in the 2nd half of last year, playing 3rd fiddle to Cross and Boyd. He'll be the number 1 man at GWS and will get so much more opportunity to score. Most of his possessions will be contested, just like his former captain. The difference is that Ward can actually kick. Is tough as hell and is likely to play all 22 games.

n00bsauce

how will he cope with a no.1 tag this year? probably didnt get much of one last year

meow meow

The hardest of hard ball winners like Selwood, Hayes, Swallow and Boyd play a style that is untaggable. The only way to stop them is to cheat, which means free kicks for. Ward's current free kick ratio supports this.

Ziplock

or to be a harder ball winner than them ;)

Usman

meow meow

Quote from: Usman on March 03, 2012, 12:28:06 PM
No. Just no.

Care to elaborate?

An average of 20 disposals a match in 2011 saw him average 90. You don't think he'll average 25 playing as the number 1 inside midfielder at GWS? That's an extra 25%. The position change alone should see him pushing 110+. He didn't have much of a preseason last year and it showed. GWS didn't intend on making him captain, but he is destroying the preseason and he gave them no choice. 5th year for a player of his ilk should see him starting to become elite. Forget Lenny Hayes, this guy is the new Lenny Hayes in both style and score. Rockliff showed that your team doesn't have to be awesome to be able to score like a machine.

Danstar

Had him last year, but am passing on him this year. For a little bit more you can get a guaranteed 100+ scorer. He was scoring well with the dogs who have 2-3 prem's before him. Most the time he played a floating type midfielder, with no real opponet.

Fletch74

With your track record of Martin last year person Cat, I might have a look at him ;)

Usman

Quote from: meow meow on March 05, 2012, 02:40:39 AM
Quote from: Usman on March 03, 2012, 12:28:06 PM
No. Just no.

Care to elaborate?

An average of 20 disposals a match in 2011 saw him average 90. You don't think he'll average 25 playing as the number 1 inside midfielder at GWS? That's an extra 25%. The position change alone should see him pushing 110+. He didn't have much of a preseason last year and it showed. GWS didn't intend on making him captain, but he is destroying the preseason and he gave them no choice. 5th year for a player of his ilk should see him starting to become elite. Forget Lenny Hayes, this guy is the new Lenny Hayes in both style and score. Rockliff showed that your team doesn't have to be awesome to be able to score like a machine.

Andrew Swallow is the new Lenny Hayes for 1. Yes, Callan ward should be an absolute star but he is going to be thrown in the deep end with very little support, whilst copping the number one tag. He will be in a far less succesful team which should reduce his SC numbers even if he is finding the ball more. I reckon he will average about the same as last year maybe 5 ppg more but its not worthy of selection. As you said he should find more of the ball but he will be under more pressure than ever before when has the ball and will be delivering to inexperienced and lesser teammates than ever before. therefore his efficiency numbers should drop and he will need boyd like possesions and clearences to score well. Not likely in that team at all.

Bruizer81

No way Ward will be Top 6

Playing for GWS he cannot average 115.  He will find the going a lot harder without Boyd, Picken, Griffen etc

He finished strongly last year due to the Dogs winning some games down the home stretch.  Has a low kick to handball ratio and only 6 100+ scores.  Not damaging enough yet to crank out the big scores week in week out.

I really rate the guy but not that highly yet

Put him down to average 100-105

Just my 2 cents anyway

Usman

I know you make bold choices meow and that is great and i like that. Usually i agree with most of them too, but this one doesnt sit well unfortuanately. the No. Just no. was more to him being a top 10 mid this year. Just wont happen, there are too many other players who are better and in stronger teams or improving teams i would be extremely surprised with a top 20-30 let alone top 10.

meow meow

Seems to have taken a leaf out of his former captain Boyd's book with his disposal efficiency. If/when he improves that he will start getting the 130's. His tackling is what is going to see him be a consistantly solid scorer.

One ton down, 21 to go.

enzedder

Quote from: Usman on March 05, 2012, 12:42:12 PM
I know you make bold choices meow and that is great and i like that. Usually i agree with most of them too, but this one doesnt sit well unfortuanately. the No. Just no. was more to him being a top 10 mid this year. Just wont happen, there are too many other players who are better and in stronger teams or improving teams i would be extremely surprised with a top 20-30 let alone top 10.
Well said.
108 is a good score but a long season ahead.

hannebery2rohan

did you take the punt and pick him though, meow?  ;)

meow meow

Damn this guy is good. We should have got two 1st round picks for him.