Andrew Swallow captain - Increase???

Started by nichsa673, February 03, 2012, 02:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nichsa673

With Andrew Swallow becoming the new captain, will we see him play harder, if that is possible for him, and increase his scoring this season. Is he now more of an option for your 2 or 3 midfield position

cortez

He is a gun with the captaincy or without it just like sekwood is in my top six mids. Starting with gaz, swan, selwood and murph but swallow will be an upgrade target for me along with pendles

nichsa673

this might sound stupid, but why are you starting with 4 elite premiums in the midfield/ Wouldn't you want to spread the money out a little bit, and get a Barlow instead?

Presto

Quote from: nichsa673 on February 03, 2012, 02:42:59 PM
this might sound stupid, but why are you starting with 4 elite premiums in the midfield/ Wouldn't you want to spread the money out a little bit, and get a Barlow instead?
Agree,
The problem with Swallow is his inconsistency, last year he had a game (against Adelaide) where he scored 193 but far too many games (6) where he scored under 80

cortez

Its just my opinion and i reckon he will be top 6 this year. And i think 4 prem is a good way to go. I dont think barlow will be top 6 mids by the end of the year so im not picking him. Completely prem/rookie strategy this year.

Wolf67

Quote from: cortez on February 03, 2012, 03:05:48 PM
Its just my opinion and i reckon he will be top 6 this year. And i think 4 prem is a good way to go. I dont think barlow will be top 6 mids by the end of the year so im not picking him. Completely prem/rookie strategy this year.
+1

MGK1

Why do people assume that once a player is given the captaincy their form will improve?
Is there any reason for assuming so?

nichsa673

Becasue they feel more resposibility, and they can deal with by making an example for the other players and leading from the front. Just a theory.

cortez

Except if your nick maxwell the only way he leads is by strutting onto the field like a dick. But depends on the player. Some captains lead on tbe field and some off tbe field. The on field leaders are tbe ones that may improve in sc.

Swallow12

One that comes to mind is Boyd last year? Massive increase in his first 12 games as captain

Bluesman

Quote from: cortez on February 03, 2012, 06:08:41 PM
Except if your nick maxwell the only way he leads is by strutting onto the field like a dick. But depends on the player. Some captains lead on tbe field and some off tbe field. The on field leaders are tbe ones that may improve in sc.
[/quote+1. LMAO  ;D ;D ;D

MontyJnr

Quote from: MGK1 on February 03, 2012, 05:56:26 PM
Why do people assume that once a player is given the captaincy their form will improve?
Is there any reason for assuming so?

I believe a captain often takes advantage of the leadership and influences the team structures to get themselves involved in the game as much as possible.

Look at how much Matty Boyd improved last year when he was given the captaincy. He'd just rack up the ball and his disposal efficiency was still suspect, but he took advantage of the leadership and maximised his time in the midfield.

Then theres Boomer Harvey. Goes on long runs from the centre square, dodging opposition players without passing to open team mates to kick a goal. Not sure if many other players would get away doing that as regularly as he does it.

miffysp

Yeah brad green really shone as captain ddnt he. NOT
He even got put sub one game. Lol