Steele Sidebottom

Started by theta, January 29, 2012, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theta

In an already crowded and classy midfield can Sidebottom lift his average from 83 to above 95?

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Steele&surname=Sidebottom

Bruizer81

No questioning his endurance, only second in the time trial behind the Irishman Marty Clarke, running sub 6min over 2km.

The problem lies with Swan, Pendles, Thomas, Ball, Beams taking a fair chunk of points out the midfield.

I feel Steele with play more of a run with, tagging role to develop his awareness around the ground.

Cant see him averaging more than 85 this year.  Just my thoughts however

n4cr123

Will Leon Davis exit may help as a mid might move down to half back allowing sidebottom time in the middle....

miffysp

Remember we got Marty Clarke back so that closes off Davis' hole that he has left. I think Steele is destined for more time on the wing pushing daisy into centre a bit more.

Bruizer81

Reckon Marty Clarke will get a lot of time through the middle this year helping out Luke Ball with some of the 'in and under' stuff.

Has apparantly gained a few kilos of muscle and can see him perfect for that role.  Beams is a chance to play of the back line as well

Torress

beams surely won't be rotated down back, he is a DEAD EYE DICK infornt of the posts!! i'd go for beams b4 this guy.
reckon sidey will maintain his current average and be dead wood in your team. too many others at collingwood will bob up and take too many points away.

lozza63

Quote from: theta on January 29, 2012, 04:59:19 AM
In an already crowded and classy midfield can Sidebottom lift his average from 83 to above 95?

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/players/profile.php?firstname=Steele&surname=Sidebottom

Short answer is yeah maybe - but why?
Lets us assume that the Pies cut per game of 3300 SC points is 1780.
In an ideal world assuming all players make 22 appearances:
Player averages projected top 10:
1. Pendles - 130 2011 (129)
2. Swan - 125           (122)
3. Thomas - 110       (109)
4. Cloke - 105             (98)
5. Shaw - 103           (101)
6. Beams - 100         (101)
7. Ball - 95                 (98)
8. Sidebottom - 95       (83) (Neon 98)
9. Jolly - 85                (83)
10. Didak - 85             (62)

Now as stated Davis has left making room for his points to be absorbed - Clarke can snaffle some.
Sidey has already served a 60 ish game apprenticeship and in his fourth year at the club - looks primed for the extra load.

Why i feel he'll make the next step:

1. Is fine tuning already naturally developed footy smarts - working with Rob Harvey, learning from Bally, Pendles and Swan.
2. As stated is much fitter (time trial) and stronger again this year. Should increase his contested possession count - currently 13th at the club, only 1.5 per game away from top 10 - is his main area of weakness.
3. Has shown capacity to score well previously. Reads the play incredibly well - reliable goal kicker avg 1 per game, doing that regularly.
4. Likely to be given more opportunity as Bucks keeps one eye to the future. Already close to 20 disposals per game - even a couple more - there's 5-6 points per game already.
5. Love his tackling ability - ranks third at the club in that stat. Could improve again here with his improved endurance.
6. Was able to record 120 sc points against the sternest of oppositon in the GF - bodes well for the immediate future. Scored 4 tons last year.
Example - Dale Thomas probably less consistency leading into his impressive 2010 year scoring 94 (it was his 5th year), in 2009 he returned 74 - only scored twice over 100 SC.
7. Has proven to be very durable 8 games - 2009, 21 - 2010, played all 22 last year.

Reasons not to take Steele:
1. Throws in the odd 30s and 50s.
2. Will he be given defensive assisgnments (as said)?
3. The "greedy" senior boys may just absorb most of "Neon's points".
4. Does the possible resurgence of Didak make him less attractive?
5. Dayne Beams continued emergence.

Sorry peeps possibly over analysed?
Having said all this - we all have to ask ourselves is do we take the gamble with him?

Bruizer81

All really good points there.  As you stated Beams will be used pushing forward.

Is Wellingham a possibility to be used off half back?  Has thrown up great numbers when others were rested and could provide great run and a good kick from the back line.

Thoughts???

Torress

mate forgot all about him!

yea wellingham is another to add to lozza's list.

but i'd presume he is a mid only - i wouldn't pick wellingham but another who will bob up throughout the season with some nice scores if he's the gamebreaker

Bruizer81

Was never considering him (Wellingham) however feel he could slide down back and play a half back role

reesbr

Wellingham is a gun, i would be on him if he was MPP

theta

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/tabid/5586/default.aspx?newsid=127842

Even with a move to the midfield I still dont know where he'll get his points from - maybe a few from beams if he is pushed forward? 
Most of leons points will be soaked up by the backline/clarke, and swan/pendles/thomas/ball

dmac07

With an ave of 83 last year he is too expensive to make money, and you would want him to ave greater than 95, preferably over 100 this yes to be a keeper. Really canlt see that happening. If you look at it from a top averages at collingwood view, he will be behind swan, pendles, thomas, and probably shaw, cloke, ball. Placing him at best battling for a 7-9th best scorer at the club with the likes of beams, wellingham. So my question is, is the 7-9th best scorer at even a top club going to ave greater than 95?

Gooner

I'm expecting Sidebottom to have a great year this year and he's almost a lock for my team.

tyhwu

just reviving this thread. is sidey a keeper?