shannon byrnes

Started by rsawry23, January 28, 2012, 04:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsawry23

Is he worth having as a 6th fwd considering he averaged 78 in his 20 games back in 2010?
Only played 5 games last year though (does anybody know why?? ???) but with ling retiring and a spot becoming available in the midfield could he be the man to fill it??
Potentially could be a bargain if he can recapture his '10 form with his $221,200 price tag.

meow meow

Nope, too risky. He is a half forward, not a mid. Even with Varcoe injured it's still risky.

Missed games last year due to injury, then not being able to get back into the best 22. Stokes, Varcoe, Christensen, Duncan held him out.

charliesheen

didn't realise he was only 220k.....

if you think he will cement a spot 100%, i would say he is a lock...

Gooner

No.  He was a bit of a favourite of bomber's but Scott appears, like most cats fans, not to rate him. 

He's been passed by a few of the kids and I can't see him getting regular games or scoring as well as he did two years ago.

rsawry23

Yeah fair point about scott not rating him. With Menzel I think being on the long term injury list and Varcoe an iffy on round 1 he could see the start of the season. If he was to perform perhaps a 20+ possession 2 goal game playing off half forward moving through the midfield (if he has the tank) I could see him holding down a spot before Duncan. With Ling's retirement and no other genuine tagger in the geelong side ringing a bell he could well find his spot there. I know it's all hypothetical but why would they keep a 28 year old on the list and not use him?????

Torress

fair point there has been some outs at geelong. will be interesting to see how they structure the side. even with ottens/blake/mooney/milburn gone could open a spot for byrnes.  ???  the fact they might use tomahawk pinch hitting in ruck? = potentially one open spot for a small. but i'd doubt that with big O. but you never know how they might go about positioning.

i looked at him as soon as i saw the prices in fanplanner - if he is getting a gig you could do far worse.

jimmytigs

i wanna get this guy in,hard to have him & porplyzia in same team,just got porps ahead of him at this point,but round 1 will tell a story with this guy,if he cant make top 22 after retirements & menzel varcoe & 2 bigs all likely to miss then it would be hard to see him ever get much of a go,but if hes in be hard to resist,other thing against him is that i will seriously look at christensen & steviej & smedts & many others will like chappy,so wouldnt be wise to have even 2 from same side on same line despite dpp status of some.another minus is his likeliness to wear the vest,he seems to be a prime candidate in my mind