What if Dean Cox ....

Started by Torress, January 23, 2012, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torress

what happens if big Cox averages 130 from the 1st 5-6 rounds???

he could be too much to bring in around bye time if he dominates

plays-
dogs rd 1
dees (home) rd 2
gws rd 3
hawks (home) rd 4
tigers rd 5
roos (home) rd 6
bombers rd 7

then a few tough ruck opponents with

saints (home) rd 8
freo rd 9
brisbane rd 10

besides NM with goldy and hmac (last year cox scored 165 against roos in rd 1), i can see big cox kicking ass in the first 7 rounds. he started very well last year.

is he too expensive? yes.  - and there are good options for ruck prems this year.

BUT, if you are picking one prem ruck and 3 rookies rucks from the start is cox THAT bad of a pick still? i guess we'll know after season starts, but i don't want to not have cox if he ends up being a clear leader of all the rucks. am considering with him being my only prem with 3 rookies.
if fit, he is still the best ruckman in fantasy  ::)

charliesheen

If Dean Cox goes nuts again, you will be far ahead over others that don't have him.  Even if he misses a game or 2.

browny_wce

dude...SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!   :-X

surprisingly I think Coxy will be the biggest smokie going into DT this year
only problem will be the amount of rucktime NicNat gets
but I see West Coast running with a similar strategy with the 2 rucks as they did last year start Nic in the ruck then swap Coxy through there to take the marks around the ground as he is smarter and has better skills
also as Naitinui is so dangerous as a deep, mobile, big forward (as Coxy can be). just depends on Coxys fitness and what Woosha wants out of Nics development this year

me

cox would be my first picked ruck if i wasn't cheaping out on rucks...

jasonweare

Is cox worth $110,000 odd more over leuy?? Going 1 prem 3 rooks. Is his scoring going to be that much more then leuy to warrant the money. Would like to use the money else where!

Cruiseon

There seems so much talk of cheaping out on rucks this year, makes me wonder what has changed as this was rarely an option in the past. The byes or MPP I don't think make that much of a difference is it primarily value? And if so is this really much of a difference to prior years?

PICCOLLO

Cruiseon has a point. 
But back to Coxy - I think he is the top ruck in the league; he's mobile and get plenty of touches to complement the hitouts.
I don't think he'll top last year but he'll still be in the top 3 rucks in the league.  The doubt is created by his price and age and perhaps Nat's growing role in the ruck but no one could blame you for picking him despite the cost.  He's a champ.

Kuruki

Quote from: Cruiseon on January 23, 2012, 07:04:37 PM

There seems so much talk of cheaping out on rucks this year, makes me wonder what has changed as this was rarely an option in the past. The byes or MPP I don't think make that much of a difference is it primarily value? And if so is this really much of a difference to prior years?

If you look at it, there was only one ruck that averaged over 100 last year. Why would the ruck be the place you would set and forget if there are better set and forget options elsewhere. Most of the options people are picking are closer to 90 avg. That hardly screams out to me as a must have set and forget position.

As far as Cox goes im going to get him early, coz he is going to kill everyone else by around 20 points per round for the first half of the season. Then ill pick my time and ditch him for the best value ruck at that stage before he starts to bring his avg down to far. Waste of trade, maybe. But ill risk it.

upthemaidens

kuruki,, this is SC not DT, i think there were a few over 100 avg. ruck in SC,,  sandi,mummy,burger,goldie, mcevoy...
  in DT i would look at cheaper options,but not SC

Torress

662k is cox's starting SC price based on the fanplanner.

it could be a massive and somewhat unique advantage to have cox starting, and then he dominates - not many would have him and the ones that did bring him in would have to burn trades or for some reason have jags of cash in the kitty.

i don't think nicnat effects him all that much cox will still pick up possies and fact is you can't really tag a ruckman!

Quote from: Kuruki on January 23, 2012, 08:30:37 PM
Quote from: Cruiseon on January 23, 2012, 07:04:37 PM

If you look at it, there was only one ruck that averaged over 100 last year. Why would the ruck be the place you would set and forget if there are better set and forget options elsewhere. Most of the options people are picking are closer to 90 avg. That hardly screams out to me as a must have set and forget position.

As far as Cox goes im going to get him early, coz he is going to kill everyone else by around 20 points per round for the first half of the season. Then ill pick my time and ditch him for the best value ruck at that stage before he starts to bring his avg down to far. Waste of trade, maybe. But ill risk it.

i'm aware that you seemed to be referring to DT but fair question i think - why is set and forget rucks better than in any other position?  because the cream of the crop of the ruck division is so much better than the next level. the points you lost from not having 2 prem rucks really adds up and you can typically pick underpriced forwards and backs.

set and forget rucks is losing popularity but it may be what sets you apart.

Purple 77

I still think Cox will have a great SC year, its just i think i can save money with berger and mcevoy, even though cox may average 10 more points than them

jasonweare

Quote from: Purple 77 on January 23, 2012, 09:51:25 PM
I still think Cox will have a great SC year, its just i think i can save money with berger and mcevoy, even though cox may average 10 more points than them

That's what I mean purple, is 10 points more a week really worth the extra cash you need to spend.

Purple 77

Quote from: jasonweare on January 23, 2012, 10:13:54 PM

That's what I mean purple, is 10 points more a week really worth the extra cash you need to spend.

Well it could be, but at the start of the year, you need all the cash you can get. that extra cash, which if you picked berger instead would be 100k, could be the cash that upgrades zaharakis to lance franklin, or any other situation.

Just don't think he's the right guy to start off with, what im thinking about doing, is having three rookie ruck including rowe, orren and giles, and downgrade either orren or giles (who hopefully will be about 300k after 7 or 8 rounds), trade out a forward (hopefully same value), put rowe in the forward line (new SC rule allows you to do this using only one trade) and get a ruckman that hopefully will be cox if he gets cheap enough, which is likely coz its hard to maintain that price.

charliesheen

yes.  10 ppg over other rucks is worth it over 22 rounds, even if he misses a game or 2.

jasonweare

Quote from: Purple 77 on January 23, 2012, 10:27:54 PM
Quote from: jasonweare on January 23, 2012, 10:13:54 PM

Well it could be, but at the start of the year, you need all the cash you can get. that extra cash, which if you picked berger instead would be 100k, could be the cash that upgrades zaharakis to lance franklin, or any other situation.

Just don't think he's the right guy to start off with, what im thinking about doing, is having three rookie ruck including rowe, orren and giles, and downgrade either orren or giles (who hopefully will be about 300k after 7 or 8 rounds), trade out a forward (hopefully same value), put rowe in the forward line (new SC rule allows you to do this using only one trade) and get a ruckman that hopefully will be cox if he gets cheap enough, which is likely coz its hard to maintain that price.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Berger, Giles, orren, Rowe are my current rucks. Either of them i reckon will be the zac smith of 2012. Use the new trading system to move Rowe to the forwards when it's time to upgrade using a forward cash cow.