Mitch Morton

Started by Spirios, January 09, 2012, 07:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirios

Interesting question I keep coming upon everytime I look at my current FWD line.

1. Does he fit into the sydney line up as a lock week in week out?

2. Could he become part of that goal kicking midfield sydney has?

3. Is he worth taking a punt on and moving from that 60 points per week to the 70-80's he did a couple of years ago.

It is one that I am struggling with. I see potential in him (especially at sydney) to do well and turn back the clock to the 70-80 points player but he can also be as worthless as Chris Tarrant in a backline!

I would suggest there is scope for him to be the mid 70's player, which puts him ahead of most rookies and some more expensive players (see Alan Didak)

Interested in other views.

Galea89

His Definately on the radar.

IMO he will play majority of the year if not a lock every week. Sydney needed to fix their forward line which is why they drafted Morton and Walsh. Goodes will be freed up to play midfield with Tommy Walsh as FF or CHF. Morton will play predominately forward and I think he is in for a big year. There is still some doubt so I think we need to wait to see how he goes in the NAB cup.

dmac07

On my radar too, with reid and perhaps walsh  as key forwards, goodes in the middle, he could play as a lead up forward, getting the third defender and kick 30-40 goals... Or he could just just be a bit part player with a lot of crappy scores.

He is a must watch in the nab for me, along with a few other mid priced forwards (winderlich, brown, porplyzia and didak). There is probably only room for one of those guys in my team though.

Lions01

Have been giving Morton a bit of thought but more from a Ryan O'Keefe point of view. I see him getting games why else would they trade for him, all thou it was anothing pick (79)

Not being a Swan supporter i would be interested in what their thoughts of how these two players are going to play in the same side, could this possible free O'keefe up as I would imagine Mortons role would be closer to Goal

If these 2 are going to play simular role, you would imagine that O'Keefe would get more / harder attention making Morton even more tempting!!!

AFL Babble

I know this is a bit left-field, but Mortons best footy in the past couple of years came after he was in the VFL for something like 7 weeks. When he came back in, it was as a bona fide midfielder and he was great. Inexplicably, the next season he returned to the forward line and then had some not-so-well-known personal issues that resulted in a break from the game mid season.

Just thinking, with the Tigers midfield juggernaut starting to emerge last year and and a bloke like Shane Tuck struggling to get games, maybe they rated him but let him go simply because they believe they have better. Then with O'Keefe, he's getting kind of old and doesn't seem to have the durability to play in the mids any more, but he is great up forward.

Mayve the Swans will play Morton as that bona fide midfielder and retire O'Keefe to the forward line. Being able to devote both O'Keefe AND Goodes to the forward line would be a match-up nightmare for opposition coaches.

theta

I didnt know Morton played much in the mid-field.  Was this in 2009 when his sc average peaked at 82?

I thought Morton would compete for a posi in the forward line with Reid/Walsh/White/Spanger to free up Okeefe in the midfield, but if he does his best work in the midfield/CHF it would make sense putting putting Okeefe up forward instead.

Any Richmond supporters know where Morton played his best footy?

AFL Babble

Torress

i have no source but from what i've heard from my tiger supporter mate, morton has attitude problems. and doesn't train hard enough. i'd say a HFF would be a very hard spot for him to take ownership of @ sydney. swannies have a strong list' so definately no walk in. If he struggled to get a regular gig at RICHMOND, then i'd say its an up hill battle for a gig at sydney. and yes sydney do have a history of recyling players from other teams, but that ideal is also there to be broken!!

on the radar as he is a skillful player will keep an eye on in NAB if gets games

Manbearpig

Seems too risky. I won't consider him unless it becomes clear that he has a place in the Swans' 22. The fact that he had that great run at the end of 2010 is the only thing that piques my interest.

theta

Ditto.  Too much risk, not enough upside.