Maybe
7 (28%)
Most Likely Not
11 (44%)
Seriously?
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 5

MajorLazer

I will be doing a few profiles on players that I am looking at picking that are probably not on other coaches' radars.
Here is the first one:

Pearce Hanley

2011 Season
Games: 22
Total SC Score: 1,817
SC Average: 82.59
Highest Score: 121
Lowest Score: 35
Centuries: 6 out of 22
Lowest Price: $297,400 (Rd 1)
Highest Price: $405,000 (Rd 11)

FanPlanner Price: $438,700
FanPlanner Position: Backman

Summary
Hanley had a mini breakout season in 2011, finally playing more than 10 games for the year. He also had a slightly inconsistent year for the Lions, but this was expected as it was his first full year of AFL. With the year the Lions had, he had a decent SC year and with Adcock and Drummond getting injured often, as expected, Hanley took advantage and took some of the SC points that would normally go thier ways.

Decision
He is listed at an almost premium price of $438,700 and that will put off many SC coaches, but I think that in a young team that has guns in the mids who need to be tagged and also Adcock and/or Drummond to, maybe, take a forward tag, this leaves Hanley plenty of room to run the ball and rac up the touches off half back for the Lions.

I am seriously looking at him because of the lack of genuine premiums in the backline. I think he could step up and average 90-100.

newfreofan

I was a heartbeat away from picking him last year, kicked myself all year for not pulling the trigger. A little worried about his price this year but he may well factor into my plans

Ringo

Is on my radar Was one of Brisbanes most improved last year.  Stepped up well with the injuries in our back line and with Stakers long term injury this season will provide further opportunities to step up.  Agree may increase average to 90 - 100 this year and may be more.

Torress

i did see him a few times and he was good.
its a lucky dip on picking players in defence around that price bracket - hurn for example.  i think god, gibbs,deledio will be very popular picks again. after that its a little tricky! and he is an awkard price - you'd rather go a bloke like lake wouldn't you?? or someone around his price range rather than a 400k pop that could be wasting space.. like hanley???

Torpedo10

i think he is a maybe for my team.I think he can step up to the next level but not sure if he will do it this year.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Ringo on November 04, 2011, 07:55:26 AM
Is on my radar Was one of Brisbanes most improved last year.  Stepped up well with the injuries in our back line and with Stakers long term injury this season will provide further opportunities to step up.  Agree may increase average to 90 - 100 this year and may be more.
I'm thinking about the same. In the Lions team, has the potential to step up his game as they certainly look to improve with Youth. He's on the radar but at an awkward price like Torress mentioned. He's not in my current plans but not one for me to rule out jsut yet.

j959

Quote from: Hellopplz on November 11, 2011, 06:32:24 PM
I'm thinking about the same. In the Lions team, has the potential to step up his game as they certainly look to improve with Youth. He's on the radar but at an awkward price like Torress mentioned. He's not in my current plans but not one for me to rule out jsut yet.
possible upgrade target - i vaguely monitored him in 2011 and he just isn't/wasn't consistent enough to warrant the near-premium starting price imo ... so either he is a bit inconsistent, esp early on and you can jump on him later, or he starts the season strongly and you jump on in the hope that he'll upgrade himself into premium status ... but will still be a hard call ...  ::)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: j959 on November 17, 2011, 05:37:42 PM
Quote from: Hellopplz on November 11, 2011, 06:32:24 PM
possible upgrade target - i vaguely monitored him in 2011 and he just isn't/wasn't consistent enough to warrant the near-premium starting price imo ... so either he is a bit inconsistent, esp early on and you can jump on him later, or he starts the season strongly and you jump on in the hope that he'll upgrade himself into premium status ... but will still be a hard call ...  ::)
Good call J. May just monitor him to see if he can find some consistency first.

theta

Can someone give me the run-down on Pearce Hanley?  Looks relatively new to the game but averaged 80 in his first full season last year.

TheMailman

Brisbane will give him plenty of games which would be a pro

CrowsFan

23 years old, promoted off the rookie list in 2009 after being picked up in the rookie draft the year before. Played gaelic football in Ireland before this.
He played every game last year and spent the most time on the ground for all Brisbane players. Was fourth for disposals per game at the Lions and averaged the second most metres gained per game for all defenders in the AFL.
I reckon he will improve again this year and average 90+ for the season.

Ringo

For those that are interested here is a summary of Hanleys 2011 season.

• Following the off-season departure of Justin Sherman, Hanley inherited the Lions' famous Number 11 guernsey in the hope that a change in jumper could bring a change in luck for the Irishman.

• His fortunes definitely improved in 2011, as he put behind him those frustrating soft tissue injuries to find a permanent position in the Lions' back six and establish himself as one of competition's most promising running defenders. 

• He was named in the Lions' senior team from Round 1 and went on to be one of only five players to feature in all 22 matches throughout the season.

• Hanley seemed to achieve career-best figures every second week and maintained a high level of consistency throughout the season. In fact, he collected 20 or more disposals in 12 of his 22 senior matches, including a career best 30-possession effort against eventual Premiers Geelong at the Gabba in Round 17.

• By season's end, he led the Club in total marks (130), rebound 50s (116) and running bounces (38), and was rewarded for his breakthrough season by the Match Committee with an equal fourth placing in the Club Champion award.