Mumford in 2012

Started by TheMailman, November 03, 2011, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMailman

As a Swans supporter I'll be happy to get on board provided there's no injuries etc.

Also looks like quite a few have him in consideration?

The one worry I have is potential suspension due to his heavy tackling/bad tribunal record and the fact that Sydney seems to be using him as a one ruck army 90% of the game so injuries would have to be possible

So are YOU highly considering picking him in 2012 and if so I would like to know why compared with persons such as Cox, Hmac, Sandilands, Goldstein etc.

elephants

I am locking the big man in as my number one. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but suspension would be more of a worry than injury?

Cox is very $$ and sharing the work load with nic nat

Hmac sharing with Goldy for too much for my liking

Sandilands won't play 22 games (never does)

Goldy share 50/50 with hmac (bad for dt)

I only feel safe with three ruckmen this year and those three will be in my team come round 1 i believe.

Devo_

I am strongly considering him, mainly because of his relatively unique bye among the premium-scoring ruckmen. Mummy's one man army routine means he will probably score well too. 

TheMailman

Yeah suspension is probably the bigger issue this coming season

Hopefully he can pull the "sling tackle" away....  ::)

Torpedo10

I think the best duo for 2012 would be Leuenberger and Mumford. If lots of people think the way your thinking elephants Goldy might do most of the ruck and get most of the points. Goldy will be expensive tho so I'll wait till the pre-season.

Torress

more or less locked and loaded.

i think his popularity could increase purely on the fact that GWS and swans play round 1 a week before anyone else. the VC loop hole will be a tactic and mummy could have an absolute field day round 1! but besides that i'll pick him anyway, him leuy and potentially trent west for value.

elephants

Doesn't he have a grand final bye? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong?

TheMailman

I don't really know the situation of the byes

However, he has a tough last five games (I think Hawtorn, Collingwood, Geelong, WB, ????)

So lots of people would be jumping off him towards the end of next season

Devo_

Quote from: TheMailman on November 05, 2011, 10:09:08 AM
I don't really know the situation of the byes

However, he has a tough last five games (I think Hawtorn, Collingwood, Geelong, WB, ????)

So lots of people would be jumping off him towards the end of next season

Sydney's last 5 games are Carlton, Collingwood, WB, Hawthorn and Geelong. When Mumford played those teams in 2011, he scored 63 and 117 v Hawthorn, 105 and 135 v Geelong, 131 and 66 v Carlton when they met earlier in the year and 88 and 122 when he played WB. Didn't play Collingwood. Can't see a reason to jump off late in the year.

Windigo

You'd be stupid not to have a real hard look at picking him up as your 1st or 2nd ruck option next year.

But on the other hand does have a few niggles that showed itself this year.

But has the potential to the best DT ruck man in years to come.

pavs nose

Torress

Quote from: pavs nose on November 06, 2011, 03:41:59 PM
i love my mummy
LOL!!!

Quote from: Windigo on November 05, 2011, 02:24:58 PM
You'd be stupid not to have a real hard look at picking him up as your 1st or 2nd ruck option next year.

But on the other hand does have a few niggles that showed itself this year.

But has the potential to the best DT ruck man in years to come.
not wrong, gets the odd niggle. but big men are notorious for picking up niggles. thing is, i beleive the consensus is mummy could improve his average next season right?? i think he will be a popular fantasy for years to come myself. him and leuy after sandi and cox gone

pavs nose

would it be ridiculous to suggest that zac smith could average 90-95? Full pre-season and has proven to be durable in his first yeh. smokey.....

Holz

Quote from: pavs nose on November 07, 2011, 11:15:24 PM
would it be ridiculous to suggest that zac smith could average 90-95? Full pre-season and has proven to be durable in his first yeh. smokey.....

its possible but i really doubt it, if you look at most rucks they genrally up their scores slowly
Sandi: 47, 58, 66, 74,75, 82, 95, 98, 95
Cox: 41, 59, 64, 78, 95, 99, 100 ........

Smith may be different, due to his team and the fact he started off much stronger than most rucks. however if you take away the 6 games Fraser didn't play his top 5 scores for the season were only

107, 85, 84, 81 and 74 so i doubt based on that he will be able to lift his average above 90. In a few years i see him being a gun when GC are up and running, he wont be in my team just yet.

Mummy on the other hand could be a gun next year, is capable of the huge games, he just needs to get rid of the low scores.
He had 5 games under 70 points and that unacceptable for a premium ruck.

Ziplock

mcevoy and goldy both fired young as rucks for dt from memory- but both still took 4 seasons to hit premium status.

I'm not saying smith can't do it, but I would be waiting until 2013 or 14 (or whenever fraser retires) before lock and loading.