All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BratPack

Quote from: ossie85 on November 11, 2011, 12:48:56 PM

Yep. I reckon a few will be sending out an S.O.S. ;)

I don't really think I have a problem there. I have a couple in mind for this era, but if I get desperate I can always reach into the bag of tricks and take a Goddard when the 90's/00's roll around. Although if Bartlett had not been on the board I'd have taken Daz's pick (Doull) there  :P

DazBurg

well for my next pick
i'm going to follow in C4's footsteps and get me a ruckman

Simon Madden

Simon Madden was one of the greatest ruckman to play the game, and certainly the most durable. In all he played 378 senior matches, the most by any Essendon player, and fourth most league history (Behind Michael Tuck, Kevin Bartlett and Robert Harvey). In addition to playing in the ruck, Madden was a handy part-time forward, kicking 575 goals in his career, a club record that stood until it was broken in 2003 by full-forward Matthew Lloyd.

Madden won four Essendon best and fairest awards (1977, 1979, 1983 and 1984) and captained the side in the 1980 and 1981 seasons. He played in the back-to-back premiership sides in 1984 and 1985, winning the Norm Smith Medal for best on ground in the 1985 Grand Final. He was also named in the All-Australian Team on three occasions (1983, 1987 and 1988). In 1986 he rejected an offer of a $500,000 contract by the Sydney Swans to remain with Essendon for his entire career.

He was named in the ruck in Essendon's "Team of the Century" and named as the fifth best player ever to play for the club in the "Champions of Essendon" list.

Simon became head coach of St. Bernards Old Collegians Football Club Seniors (Essendon, VIC, Australia) in 2005.

Playing career¹
Debut    Round 17, 1974, Essendon v.
Footscray, at Windy Hill
Team(s)    

Essendon (1974â€"1992)

378 Games, 575 goals
¹ Statistics to end of 1992 season
Career highlights

Essendon Premiership side 1984â€"1985
    Essendon best & fairest 1977, 1979, 1983â€"1984
    Essendon Captain 1980â€"1981
    Essendon Leading goalkicker 1980, 1982, 1991
    Essendon Team of the Century
    Norm Smith Medal 1985
    3rd Brownlow Medal 1983
    2nd (equal) Brownlow Medal 1988
    All-Australian 1983, 1987, 1988

Boomz

Will do my pick shortly... Tossing up between a couple.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Boomz on November 12, 2011, 01:39:08 PM
Will do my pick shortly... Tossing up between a couple.

I've got a shortlist of 7 players! All bloody fantastic players too. Really hoping two particular ones will slip to me!

Boomz

Not the best player available but I've decided to finally start picking players I need :P

Kelvin Moore.

Great full back in the 70's and will go nicely with Moriarty & Regan.

FB: Kelvin Moore, Jack Regan, __________
HB: __________, Dan Moriarty, __________
C: Shine Hosking, Jack Clarke, Francis Bourke
HF: Barrie Robran, _________, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, __________
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Rose

INT: Tom Leahy, Mark Tandy, __________, __________

AFEV

c4v3m4n

Nice picks.

Just BP to go, then it's my turn!

BratPack

Door one or door two. Which do I take?.....Needs or Player....Needs or Player.....

Screw it

Russell Ebert

Four times a winner of South Australia's most prestigious individual football award, the Magarey Medal, Russell Ebert's solo achievements belied the fact that he was, above all else, a quintessential team man.  Like his contemporary, Barrie Robran, frequently regarded as Ebert's chief rival for the unofficial title of South Australia's greatest ever footballer, Russell Ebert off the field was shy and unassuming, preferring - if the cliché can be allowed - to 'let his football do the talking'. And how loquacious that football was!  Quite simply, Russell Ebert probably came as close as any player in history to exhibiting complete mastery over all the essential skills of the game.  On the attacking side he was a superb mark, handled the ball brilliantly in all conditions, and typically disposed of it, whether by foot or by hand, with pinpoint accuracy.  However, it was his defensive qualities which really marked Ebert out from the herd; unlike many acknowledged champion players Ebert excelled in performing the small, often unnoticed, ostensibly ignominious tasks that are so vital to a winning performance - tasks like shepherding, smothering, checking, tackling, spoiling which are the traditional function of the football journeyman rather than the superstar.
And 'superstar' - an admittedly much over-used term - is exactly what Russell Ebert was.
Between 1968 and 1985 he played a total of 417 games of league football, all but 25 of them with Port Adelaide.  He also represented South Australia 29 times.  In addition to his Magarey Medal wins in 1971, 1974, 1976 and 1980 he was Port's best and fairest player on no fewer than half a dozen occasions.  He had the satisfaction in 1977 of captaining the Magpies to their first premiership in twelve years, and also played in the premiership teams of 1980 and 1981.  After the 1981 grand final victory over Glenelg, he won the Jack Oatey Medal for best afield.  Mere statistics can only hint at the true genius that was Russell Ebert, however.
As a coach, Ebert enjoyed rather less success, but his accomplishments were by no means negligible.  He steered Port Adelaide to the 1984 grand final, for instance, and masterminded South Australia's state of origin victories over Western Australia in 1996 and 1998.

Career highlights
Playing career: 1968-1985 (Games: 416 Goals: 310)

• Port Adelaide (SANFL) 1968-1978, 1980-1985 (Games: 391 Goals: 295)
  • North Melbourne (VFL) 1979 (Games: 25 Goals: 15)
Player honors:

• Magarey Medal 1971, 1974, 1976, 1980
  • Port Adelaide (SANFL) best and fairest 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1981
  • Port Adelaide (SANFL) leading goalkicker 1968
  • Port Adelaide (SANFL) captain 1974-1978
  • Port Adelaide (SANFL) premierships 1977, 1980, 1981
  • South Australian representative (35 games 0 goals)

FB: __________, Peter Burns, __________
HB: __________, Tom Fitzmaurice, Walter Scott
C: Bill Hutchinson, Russell Ebert , Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn
HF: Graham Arthur, Alex Jesaulenko, George "Specka" Moloney
FF: William "Nipper" Truscott , __________, Jack Moriarty
R: Graham "Polly" Farmer, Kevin Bartlett, John D. Daly
INT: Merv McIntosh, __________, __________, __________

c4v3m4n

Dang it.

I was hoping Ebert would get to me...so close.

I'll do some write-ups soon, I promise (just busy with logo and guernsey designs :P), but the two players that I choose are...

Austin Robertson Jnr.

and

Some bias, finally...

...Barry Cable.

c4v3m4n's Titans

FB: Bernie Smith, Vic Thorp, Syd Coventry
HB: __________, Ted Whitten, Geof Motley
C: Vic Cumberland, Barry Cable, Stan Heal
HF: __________, Albert Thurgood, __________
FF: Jack Titus, Austin Robertson Jnr., Horrie Gorringe
R: Gary Dempsey, Jack Dyer, Leigh Matthews
INT: Jack Mueller, __________, __________, __________

Decent spine, don't you think?  ;D

BratPack

Guess I better start picking for positional needs a bit

Geoff Southby

Arguably the finest full back of his era, Geoff Southby proved to be an immediate success after joining Carlton in 1971 from Sandhurst, having earlier played in the VAFA with Power House, where he won a best and fairest award in 1969.  Perfectly built for a key position defender at 188cm in height and 86kg in weight he won the Blues best and fairest award in both of his first two seasons in the VFL.  Southby regularly represented the 'Big V', and was a member of Carlton premiership teams in 1972 and 1979.  He was quick, strong, adaptable and extraordinarily dogged, and must rank as one of the hardest defenders to beat one-on-one in the history of the game.  He played 268 games for the Blues between 1971 and 1984, and was included as a back pocket in Carlton's official 'Team of the Twentieth Century'.

Career highlights Playing career:

• Carlton 1971-1984 (Games: 268 Goals: 31)
Player honors:

• Carlton Best and Fairest 1971, 1972
  • Carlton premierships 1972, 1979
  • All-Australian 1980
  • Carlton Team of the Century
  • Victorian representative (16 games, 0 goals)

FB: Geoff Southby, Peter Burns, __________
HB: __________, Tom Fitzmaurice, Walter Scott
C: Bill Hutchinson, Russell Ebert , Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn
HF: Graham Arthur, Alex Jesaulenko, George "Specka" Moloney
FF: William "Nipper" Truscott , __________, Jack Moriarty
R: Graham "Polly" Farmer, Kevin Bartlett, John D. Daly
INT: Merv McIntosh, __________, __________, __________

AFEV

Damn it BP >:( My next two picks FFS.

OK then...well...I suppose...My pick will be up soon

AFEV

His ability as a midfielder is often forgotten due to his famous ability to kick goals from the 10th row...

Peter Daicos.

• Dual Collingwood Best and Fairest winner (1982, 1988)
• Collingwood leading goalscorer (1981, 1982, 1990, 1991, 1992)
• Premiership player (1990)
• 3 time All-Australian (1982, 1988, 1990)
• 5 Victorian representative games
• Collingwood Team of the Century
• Greek Team of the Century
• AFL Hall of Fame member

QuoteCollingwood's Peter Daicos' phenomenal ability to kick goals from seemingly impossible angles or when under the most extreme pressure was arguably unequalled in the history of the game.  Certainly this ability became Daicos' trademark, so much so that when players nowadays demonstrate a comparable knack they are almost invariably said to be 'doing a Daicos'.

A highly skilled footballer, Daicos, who was known as 'The Macedonian Marvel' because of his parents' country of birth, was much more than just a goalsneak.  He played much of his career on the ball or in the centre where his anticipation, balance and superlative ball handling ability made him a real force.  Former Essendon rover John Birt paid Daicos a rare compliment by comparing his ball handling skill to that of Darrel Baldock and Alex Jesaulenko and it is doubtful if the sport has seen more than half a dozen or so comparably skilled individuals in its entire history.  Peter Daicos' bracketing with such illustrious names is entirely warranted, however.

Revolutionised the way goals were kicked, and his techniques are used by goalsneaks to this day. Happy to have him in the pocket :).

FB: Reg Hickey, _______, Tom Mackenzie
HB: Kevin Murray, Albert Collier, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, Lindsay Head, _______
HF: _______, Royce Hart, _______
FF: Laurie Nash, John Coleman, Peter Daicos
FOLL: Len Thompson, Steve Marsh, Dick Reynolds

I/C: Harold Oliver, Peter Hudson, _______, _______

CrowsFan

Quote from: Sid on November 13, 2011, 10:19:59 AM
QuoteCollingwood's Peter Daicos' phenomenal ability to kick goals from seemingly impossible angles or when under the most extreme pressure was arguably unequalled in the history of the game.  Certainly this ability became Daicos' trademark, so much so that when players nowadays demonstrate a comparable knack they are almost invariably said to be 'doing a Daicos'.
I've never heard anyone say that  ???

Boomz

I'll take Tim Watson.

FB: Kelvin Moore, Jack Regan, __________
HB: Shine Hosking, Dan Moriarty, __________
C: Tim Watson, Jack Clarke, Francis Bourke
HF: Barrie Robran, _________, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, __________
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Rose

INT: Tom Leahy, Mark Tandy, __________, __________

Shoved Hosking down back but he'll probably end up on the bench.

@CF The commentators say it all the time :-X It's annoying lol

DazBurg

ok for my next pick

Michael Tuck

Early career (1972 - 1973)

Raised in Berwick, in Melbourne's outer south-eastern suburbs, Tuck joined Hawthorn in 1972 from the country zone club of the same name, and remained at the club for his entire career. Tuck initially played as a full forward and the understudy to the great Peter Hudson, kicking 63 goals in the reserves in 1971. He made his senior debut against Richmond in the eighth round the following year and kicked goals with his first three kicks in senior football,[1] but after that he failed completely and was very soon dropped from the senior side.
[edit] Rising career (1974 - 1985)

In the following years Tuck was tried as a winger and defender before in 1974 finding his true niche as a ruck-rover and firmly establishing himself in the Hawthorn senior side. With Don Scott and Leigh Matthews Tuck came to form a following combination feared by every other VFL club and a crucial role in Hawthorn's 1976 and 1978 premierships. After a lapse as Hawthorn mined its rich country zone for new talent, Tuck played a critical role in Hawthorn's seven successive grand finals between 1983 and 1989. In the last four years of his career Tuck was moved from the ball to the less demanding role of a running half-back flanker, but he still continued to gain huge numbers of possessions right up to the end of his career.
[edit] Captaincy (1986 - 1991)

Tuck was the natural successor to the Hawthorn captaincy in 1986 after Leigh Matthews' retirement. He captained them from that year until his retirement in 1991 at the age of 38. He played in a total of seven VFL/AFL premierships with Hawthorn, captaining the club in four of them.

Tuck never won Hawthorn's best-and-fairest, but was runner-up on six occasions,[2] and there was a good deal of controversy in 1982 and 1983 when he failed to poll a single vote in the Brownlow Medal, which led to votes for each match being made publicly available for the first time ever in 1984.[3]

Fittingly, his last game was in Hawthorn's premiership win in the Grand Final over West Coast.
[edit] Legacy

Tuck was a skinny ruck-rover with great stamina as evidenced by the length of his career. To date, Tuck is the VFL/AFL games record holder, with 426 games, but his durability is not only reflected in the number of senior games he played, but in having played fifty games in the reserves before becoming a regular senior player.[4] Tuck did poll 120 Brownlow votes for his career, but never got anywhere near winning the award.

His son, Shane Tuck, plays in the AFL for Richmond. Another son, Travis Tuck, was drafted in 2005 under the father/son rule by Hawthorn, debuting in 2007.On Tuesday 31 August 2010 Travis was suspended for 12 weeks after becoming AFL's first player to record a 3rd strike under the controversial drug code.

The medal presented to the best afield in the preseason cup final was named after the him in 1992, as was a grandstand at Glenferrie Oval. He was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996.

Playing career1
Years    Club    Games (Goals)    
1972 â€" 1991    Hawthorn    426 (320)    
1 Playing statistics to end of 1991 season .
Career highlights

Hawthorn captaincy: 1986 - 1991
    Hawthorn premierships: 1976, 78, 83, 86, 88, 89, 91
    All-Australian Team: 1979, 1983
    Hawthorn Team of the Century
    Victorian representative (11 games, 5 goals).