All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

Can't decide on my pick now :-X lol

Boomz

argh changed my mind again.

John Nicholls

One of the best ruckmen of all time & I couldn't pass him up.

Carlton premiership captain 1968, 1970
Carlton premiership captain-coach 1972
Australian Football Hall of Fame, inaugural legend 1996
AFL Team of the Century
Carlton Team of the Century, ruck
Carlton Best First Year Player, 1957
Robert Reynolds Trophy 1959, 1963, 1965â€"1967
Carltons B&F renamed "John Nicholls Medal" in 2004
Carlton captain 1963, 1968â€"1974

Pushes Leahy out & he will be my first bench player.

FB: __________, Jack Regan, __________
HB: __________, Dan Moriarty, __________
C: Shine Hosking, Bob Rose, __________
HF: __________, _________, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, __________
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Mark "Napper" Tandy
INT: Tom Leahy, __________, __________, __________

AFEV

OK so double pick. Cannot pass up this guy for my first pick...

Kevin Murray.

One of the hardest players ever to play the game, 'Bulldog' combined high marking, pace and exceptional decision making to turn himself into Fitzroy's greatest ever player.

• 9 Fitzroy Best and Fairests
• 1 East Perth Best and Fairest
• 2 All Australian selections (1958, 1966)
• 30 State appearances (24 Victoria, 6 WA)
• 1969 Brownlow Medal winner
• AFL Team of the Century
• Fitzroy Team of the Century
• East Perth Team of the Century
• 448 Senior games (WANFL, VFL, State)
• AFL Hall of Fame member (Legend status)

FB: Reg Hickey, _______, Tom Mackenzie
HB: Kevin Murray, Albert Collier, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, _______, _______
HF: _______, Laurie Nash, _______
FF: _______, John Coleman, _______
FOLL: _______, Steve Marsh, Dick Reynolds

I/C: Harold Oliver, _______, _______, _______

That's a nice HB line :)

AFEV

Now I've finally decided to go with....

Lindsay Head.

• Triple Magarey medallist
• First player ever to play 300 games in SA
• 8 time Best and Fairest winner (West Torrens)
• Premiership player
• 37 appearances for SA
• West Torrens leading goalkicker (1954)
• All Australian (1956)

QuoteHe was also, arguably, one of the code's most skilful and intelligent players.  Not that he lacked either courage or competitiveness - players simply do not rack up the number of decisive, clean possessions Head did without such qualities; it was just that he seemed to  perform almost every action on the football field with such smooth panache and effortless artistry that at times it was as though he was on a different plane from everyone else.

FB: Reg Hickey, _______, Tom Mackenzie
HB: Kevin Murray, Albert Collier, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, Lindsay Head, _______
HF: _______, Laurie Nash, _______
FF: _______, John Coleman, _______
FOLL: _______, Steve Marsh, Dick Reynolds

I/C: Harold Oliver, _______, _______, _______

Boomz

Jack Clarke (Essendon)

An Essendon and Victorian champion, Clarke was one of the premier midfielders of the VFL for well over a decade, leading the mighty Dons to the flag in 1962 when captain and also playing in the victorious 1965 side. Inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996, Clarke's place in Essendon Football Club history was set in stone when in 1997 he was named the centreman of the Essendon Team of the Century.

FB: __________, Jack Regan, __________
HB: __________, Dan Moriarty, __________
C: Shine Hosking, Jack Clarke, __________
HF: __________, _________, Bob Hank
FF: George Doig, Ken Farmer, __________
R: John Nicholls, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Rose

INT: Tom Leahy, Mark Tandy, __________, __________

DazBurg

ok for my next pick

Darrel Baldock

Baldock was recruited from Latrobe in Tasmania and was famous for his football handling skills and balance. "Doc" played at Centre half-forward and was made captain of St Kilda's "Team of the Century" in 2002, and named as the initial "legend" in the St Kilda Football Club Hall of Fame in 2003.

Apart from playing in the Victorian Football League with St Kilda, Baldock played 71 games for East Devonport (1955â€"1958, club best and fairest 1955); 158 games for Latrobe (1959â€"1961 and 1969â€"1974); four games for New Norfolk (1975); as well as 15 Tasmanian state representative games and 20 North-West Football Union representative games.

Player honors: Equal 2nd Brownlow Medal (equal) 1963, Equal 3rd Brownlow Medal 1965; club best and fairest 1962, 1963, 1965; club leading goalkicker 1962- 1965; club captain; 1963-1968; premiership 1966; All-Australian 1961, 1966; St K Team of the Century (captain); Victoria (10 games, 23 goals).

Coaching record: St K 1987-89 (62 games, 18 wins, 44 losses)

c4v3m4n

Wow, surprised he fell through this far. Nice pick Daz.

ossie85

My next pick!

But... how has this guy not been picked yet??? Hmmm

But clearly my team needs more COLLINGWOOD legends. Will slip nicely in the forward pocket.

Lou Richards

Born in Collingwood, Victoria, Richards' passion for Collingwood grew out of family connections â€" he followed in the footsteps of his grandfather Charlie H. Pannam (shortened from Pannamopoulos after migrating to Australia from Greece), and uncles Charles and Alby Pannam, both former Magpie players. His brother Ron Richards also played for the club. The Richards/Pannam dynasty made Collingwood the only club to have been captained by three generations of the one family. As a family they played over 1200 games between them.

Richards played as a rover, resting in the forward pocket wearing the #1 guernsey.

The outstanding feature of Richards' play â€" apart, that is, from his propensity for kicking opponents in the shins that was common to all of the Pannams â€" was his extraordinary capacity to successfully and relentlessly rove to a losing ruck (which he did for most of his career).

He was captain for four years. He captained Collingwood to the 1953 premiership, when the club had undergone its first ever flag 'drought' of 17 years

250 games, 423 goals

Collingwood premiership captain 1953
Collingwood leading goalkicker 1944, 1948, 1950
Collingwood captain 1952â€"1955

B: - - -
HB: Jock McHale, Ron Clegg, Wels Eicke
C: Colin Watson - Jack Sheedy
HF: - Dick Lee -
F: Lou Richards, Bob Pratt, Des Fothergil
Foll: Roy Cazaly, Ron Barrasi jnr, Harry Collier
Inter: - - - -

c4v3m4n

For my next pick...

...I choose Geof Motley.

Geof Motley is one of the most decorated players in Port Adelaide's storied history. He captained the club from 1959 until 1966 and was the only player to take part in all nine of the Magpies' premierships during their golden run from 1954 to 1965.

Motley was almost universally admired throughout his playing career which is no small feat when you play for a club that polarises opinion like Port Adelaide. In 258 senior games the consummate team man was never reported, with his tough but fair approach seeing him awarded his club's best and fairest trophy four times and the SANFL's highest individual honour, the Magarey Medal, in 1964.

Stats

Playing Career: 1953 - 1966 (Port Adelaide, SANFL)
Games: 258
Goals: 156

Achivements

• Magarey Medallist 1964
  • Port Adelaide Best and Fairest winner 1958, 1959, 1963, 1965
  • Member of a record 9 SANFL premierships 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965
  • Captain-coach from 1959 - 1961
  • Captain from 1962 - 1966
  • Member of Port Adelaide Team of the Century
  • Member of the SANFL and AFL Hall of Fame

c4v3m4n's Titans

FB: Bernie Smith, Vic Thorp, Syd Coventry
HB: __________, Ted Whitten, Geof Motley
C: Vic Cumberland, __________, Stan Heal
HF: __________, Albert Thurgood, __________
FF: Jack Titus, __________, Horrie Gorringe
R: __________, Jack Dyer, ___________
INT: Jack Mueller, __________, __________, __________

That back-line looks familiar for some reason...  ???

BratPack

Couple of names I could take here but I'm going to play to positional needs

Graham Arthur

Recruited from Bendigo Football League side Sandhurst, Graham Arthur made his Hawthorn debut in 1955, a couple of months before his nineteenth birthday.  He quickly impressed as a half forward, where he was described as "unspectacular, but magnificently efficient in all the skills" (see footnote 1). After making his VFL representative debut in 1957, Arthur was an almost permanent feature in state teams for the next eight years.  He became skipper of the Hawks in 1960 after John Kennedy, who had been appointed to the coaching role that season, recognised how well respected and inspirational he was.  In 1961, Graham Arthur went down in history as the first man ever to lead Hawthorn to a senior premiership as the Hawks comfortably beat Footscray in the grand final by 43 points.  When John Kennedy departed after Hawthorn had lost the 1963 grand final to Geelong, Arthur took over the coaching reins for a couple of seasons, but was unable to re-ignite the premiership flame.  He even retired briefly as a player in 1965 in the hope that he could bolster the club's fortunes by concentrating solely on coaching, but when this failed he returned to the team, and went on to play for the better part of another three seasons.
After 237 VFL games, Graham Arthur left the big time for good in 1968. The following year saw him coaching Echuca in the Bendigo Football League whilst working as a sports shop proprietor in the town.  In 1970, Arthur led his charges to a flag.  He later Returned to Hawthorn as an administrator, and in 2003 he was selected as captain of the club's official 'Team of the Century'.

Height/Weight 180cm / 86kg Playing career1
Years Club Games (Goals) 1955â€"1968 Hawthorn 232 (201)
Representative team honours
  Years Team Games (Goals) Victoria 12 (7)
Coaching career3
  Years Club Games (Wâ€"Lâ€"D) 1964â€"1965 Hawthorn 36 (17â€"19â€"0)
1 Playing statistics to end of 1968 season .
3 Coaching statistics correct as of 1965. Career highlights

FB: __________, Peter Burns, __________
HB: __________, Tom Fitzmaurice, Walter Scott
C: Bill Hutchinson, ________ , Wilfred "Chicken" Smallhorn
HF: Graham Arthur, _________, George "Specka" Moloney
FF: William "Nipper" Truscott , __________, Jack Moriarty
R: Graham "Polly" Farmer, __________, John D. Daly
INT: Merv McIntosh, __________, __________, __________

c4v3m4n

To start the next era, I choose Leigh Matthews.

I'll do a write-up soon.

PS. This is my 1000th post.  ;D

PowerBug

Quote from: c4v3m4n on November 09, 2011, 07:09:59 PM

I'll do a write-up soon.

Welcome to the land of the coaches! :D

c4v3m4n

Quote from: PowerBug on November 09, 2011, 07:11:15 PM
Quote from: c4v3m4n on November 09, 2011, 07:09:59 PM

I'll do a write-up soon.

Welcome to the land of the coaches! :D

Took me long enough...  ::)

ossie85

Ian Stewart

Ian Harlow Stewart (born Ian Cervi 30 July 1943), son of Aldo Liberale Cervi and Anita Cervi (née Stewart) who separated three years after his birth, is a former Australian rules footballer with Hobart in the Tasmanian Football League (1962), and in the Victorian Football League with St Kilda (1963â€"1970) and Richmond (1971â€"1975). He later coached South Melbourne and Carlton, and was an administrator at St Kilda.

Stewart is one of only four men to win the then-VFL's top individual award, the Brownlow medal, three times, and is a Legend of the Australian Football Hall of Fame. He will always be remembered as one of the truly great exponents of Australian football, a player with the rare blend of skill, concentration and courage who formed partnerships with two of the greatest forwards the game has produced, Darrel Baldock and Royce Hart. Coincidentally, all three men hailed from Tasmania during a period when the country's smallest state contributed some unforgettable talent to the national game.

St Kilda (1963â€"1970) 127 games, 25 goals
Richmond (1971â€"1975)
78 games, 55 goals

St Kilda Best and Fairest 1964 1966
St Kilda captain 1969
St Kilda Premiership Player 1966
Interstate games:- 4
Victorian state representative 1966
Brownlow Medallist 1965 (tie), 1966, 1971
Richmond Best and Fairest 1971
Richmond Premiership Player 1973
All-Australian 1966

B: - - -
HB: Jock McHale, Ron Clegg, Wels Eicke
C: Colin Watson, Ian Stewart, Jack Sheedy
HF: - Dick Lee -
F: Lou Richards, Bob Pratt, Des Fothergil
Foll: Roy Cazaly, Ron Barrasi jnr, Harry Collier
Inter: - - - -

DazBurg

for my next pick

Malcolm Blight

Woodville Football Club, SANFL

Malcolm Blight began his career in 1968 at the Woodville Football Club in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL). He won the Best and Fairest award with Woodville in 1972 and the Magarey Medal the same year as the league's "fairest and most brilliant".

After his stint in the VFL, Blight finished his playing career in the SANFL, as playing coach of Woodville Football Club from 1983 to 1985. He was club best and fairest in 1983 and in his last season of playing football (1985) topped the league goalkicking list with 126 goals.[2]

He was the first player to win both the Magarey Medal and Brownlow Medals, the only player to top both the SANFL and VFL goalkicking lists, and the only player to captain both Victorian and South Australian representative sides.
[edit] North Melbourne Football Club, VFL

Blight was recruited by the Kangaroos and, although he was reluctant to join at first, he went on to play 178 games for the club between 1974 and 1982.[3] He was a member of the Kangaroos' premiership sides in 1975 and 1977, and in 1978 won both the Brownlow Medal and the Syd Barker Medal for being the best and fairest player in the VFL and for North Melbourne respectively.

Blight was consistently one of the most brilliant players in the VFL during the 1970s. Besides taking spectacular marks, he was also a prolific goalkicker, renowned for his ability to kick the torpedo punt and high flying marks. In 1982, Blight won the Coleman Medal for leading the VFL in goalkicking, and led the Kangaroos' goalkicking four times during his career.
[edit] 80m goal after the siren

In a moment that has since passed into Australian Rules folklore in 1976 Blight kicked a famous goal after the siren against Carlton. After kicking two goals in time-on in the last quarter, Blight marked an estimated 80 metres from the goals. North Melbourne were still trailing by one point â€" only a goal would win the game. Many assumed Blight's effort would be futile and spectators were already entering the playing arena. However, Blight unleashed one of the biggest-ever torpedo punts winning an improbable victory for North Melbourne. This moment was the focus of a recent television commercial, Toyota's Memorable Moments, which featured Blight.

Playing career1
Years    Club    Games (Goals)    

1968â€"1973- 1983 - 1985

1974â€"1982    SANFL
Woodville
VFL
North Melbourne    
163 (359)

178 (444)    
Representative team honours
Years    Team    Games (Goals)    
   South Australia
Victoria    7
Coaching career3
Years    Club    Games (Wâ€"Lâ€"D)    
1989â€"1994
1997â€"1999
Total    North Melbourne
Geelong
Adelaide
St Kilda    16 (6â€"10â€"0)
145 (89â€"56â€"0)
74 (41â€"33â€"0)
15 (3â€"12â€"0)
250 (139â€"111â€"0)    
1 Playing statistics to end of 1982 season .
3 Coaching statistics correct as of 2001.
Career highlights

North Melbourne premiership player 1975, 1977
    Adelaide premiership coach 1997, 1998
    Magarey Medal 1972
    Woodville Best and Fairest 1972, 1983
    All-Australian team 1972, 1985
    Brownlow Medal 1978
    Syd Barker Medal 1978
    North Melbourne leading goalkicker 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982
    Coleman Medal 1982
    Ken Farmer Medal 1985
    Victoria captain