All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFEV

BratPack

Daz is in Adelaide. he's letting me pick for him just give me about 30 minutes

DazBurg

Okay guys it's BP on Daz's computer. He asked me to look at his lists and pick for him so I see he only has one left for the 1910's

So this is Daz's pick

Dan Minogue

Reviled at Collingwood, and revered at Richmond, Dan Minogue enjoyed, and at times enjoyed, one of the most colourfully eventful VFL careers of the twentieth century.

Originally from Bendigo, Minogue joined Collingwood in 1911.  During that year's grand final against Essendon he performed heroically after sustaining a broken collar bone in the opening minute, but he was unable to prevent the Magpies losing by a goal.  When Collingwood next contested a grand final four years later, Minogue had consolidated his reputation as an inspirationally courageous player, and was in his second season as club skipper.  Unfortunately for Minogue, the Woods lost on this occasion also, going under to Carlton by 33 points.  Minogue skippered Collingwood again in 1916, after which he departed to Europe with the AIF.

After returning from war service in 1919 Minogue stunned Collingwood club officials by requesting a clearance to Richmond for reasons which were never publicly disclosed, but are widely believed to have revolved around Minogue's dissatisfaction over Collingwood's treatment of his close friend Jim Sadler, who after a long and illustrious career had been struggling to get a senior game.  Minogue eventually got his way, but he had to stand out of football for twelve months before doing so.

While in London during the war, Minogue had participated in an exhibition match arranged by popular Richmond ruckman Hugh James, and the friendship which had arisen between the two men was undoubtedly instrumental in steering Minogue towards Punt Road.  Once his clearance was ratified, Richmond promptly poured oil on the fire by appointing Minogue as its captain-coach for the season ahead; the intense loathing which exists between supporters of the Collingwood and Richmond Football Clubs almost certainly has its origins in this sequence of events.

Always an inspirational character, Minogue also demonstrated a shrewdness and a tactical aptitude which made him an outstanding success as a coach.  In his first two seasons in charge, he took the Tigers to consecutive flags, their first in the VFL.  He led from the front too, fitting in wherever he was most needed, and almost invariably performing well.

After six seasons as captain-coach of the Tigers, Minogue clambered onto a coaching merry-go-round which took in Hawthorn (1926-7), New Town (1928), Carlton (1929-34), St Kilda (1935-7) and Fitzroy (1940-42).  He came closest to repeating his Richmond accomplishments with the Blues, whom he steered to the finals in five out of his six seasons at the helm, as well as to a highly creditable overall success rate of 72.6%, but the ultimate success of a premiership eluded him. 

In a VFL career which lasted more than three decades, Dan Minogue was involved in 448 games of football: 85 as a player with Collingwood; 94 as playing coach and 11 as non-playing coach (while injured) with Richmond; 1 as playing coach and 37 as non-playing coach of Hawthorn; and the remaining 220 as coach in a non-playing capacity with Carlton, St Kilda and Fitzroy.  His feat in coaching five different VFL clubs remains a record.

Height/Weight    180cm / 87kg
Playing career1
Years    Club    Games (Goals)    
1911â€"1916
1920â€"1925
Total    Collingwood
Richmond
Hawthorn    85 (37)
94 (38)
1 (2)
180 (77)    
Coaching career3
Years    Club    Games (Wâ€"Lâ€"D)    
1920â€"1925
1926â€"1927
1929â€"1934
1935â€"1937
1940â€"1942
Total    Richmond
Hawthorn
Carlton
St Kilda
Fitzroy    105 (59â€"45â€"1)
36 (4â€"31â€"1)
117 (85â€"32â€"0)
54 (30â€"24â€"0)
51 (25â€"26â€"0)
363 (203â€"158â€"2)    
1 Playing statistics to end of 1926 season .
3 Coaching statistics correct as of 1942.
Career highlights

Richmond premiership captain-coach 1920, 1921
    Collingwood captain 1914â€"1916
    Richmond Best & Fairest 1920
    Richmond captain 1920â€"1925
    Hawthorn captain 1926
    Australian Football Hall of Fame, inducted 1996
    Richmond Hall of Fame, inducted 2002

ossie85

Wels Eicke

Early life/careerEicke was a talented young sportsman who was a champion swimmer at school level. In 1909, Eicke debuted with St Kilda at 15 years and 315 days old â€" becoming one of only six VFL/AFL footballers to have played at 15.

[edit] Playing careerPlaying as a rover initially, Eicke later became one of the league's greatest defenders. He was a great mark despite being only 175cms and fine kick who won St. Kilda's best and fairest award three times; was captain-coach in 1919 and 1924.

In 1925 he coached North Melbourne in their first year in the VFL.

Debut 7 August 1909, St Kilda v.
Geelong, at Junction Oval
Team(s) St Kilda (1909â€"1924, 1926)

197 games, 61 goals
North Melbourne (1925â€"1926)

21 games, 0 goals

Coaching career¹
Team(s) St. Kilda (1919â€"1924)

32 games â€" 11 wins, 21 losses
North Melbourne (1925â€"1926)

20 games â€" 5 wins, 15 losses

¹ Statistics to end of 2005 season
Career highlights
St Kilda Best and Fairest 1914â€"1915, 1919
Victorian state representative 8 times

c4v3m4n

Good picks everyone.

Looks like Daz is up again to kick off the 1920s!

BratPack

I can do that to push the draft along. He should be back in time for his second pick (he's coming back tomorrow)

Gordon Coventry

Besides being a one man record-making machine, Gordon Coventry affords a classic example of a footballer making the very most of his strengths in order to succeed.  Neither fleet of foot nor elegant, Coventry was once described as "more of the plodding war horse......than the dashing cavalier" (see footnote 1), and used strength of body and adroitness of mind instead of the traditional full forward's attributes of speed off the mark and aerodynamic prowess to obtain possession of the football.  Once Coventry had gained such possession within goal kicking range, the result was virtually inevitable, and on no fewer than 1,299 occasions over the course of 18 league seasons the goal umpires were forced to undergo their familiar, ritualised race from goal post to goal post, followed by the time-honoured signal of success.  Until the arrival of an ostensibly similar physical specimen in the shape of Tony Lockett, Coventry's career tally of 1,299 majors remained as a VFL record.
Other records procured by Coventry - known, almost universally, as 'Nuts' - will stand for all time.  In 1929 he became the first VFL player to kick 100 goals in a season (he finished with 124), while shortly before his retirement in 1937 he became the first VFL player to participate in more than 300 games (he ended up playing 306).  His record of booting 50 or more goals in 13 consecutive seasons will also take some beating, as will his achievement in topping Collingwood's goal kicking list on 16 straight occasions.  His 100 goals for the VFL in 25 interstate matches is also a record.
Perhaps the biggest disappointment of Coventry's career came when he was suspended for 8 matches in 1936 after striking Richmond's Joe Murdoch.  Coventry had played against Richmond despite having a crop of boils on his neck, and the striking incident occurred when he retaliated after Murdoch had, if the expression can be pardoned, hit him where it hurts.  Despite Coventry's impeccable disciplinary record the Tribunal showed him no mercy, and he ended up missing the Magpies' grand final win over South Melbourne.  Coventry's place at the goal front went to a young Ron Todd, a very different but no less effective player, who would eventually, at least for a time, step into his legendary predecessor's shoes on a more permanent basis.
After topping the VFL's list of goal kickers one last time in 1937, Gordon Coventry opted to retire, whereupon a special celebratory gathering was arranged at Melbourne's ANZAC House, at which he was presented with the princely sum of £128.  During the get-together Collingwood's president Harry Curtis summed up Coventry's career in the following, carefully chosen words: "When the big gossoon  came down from Diamond Creek he was slow and awkward.  However, Jock McHale turned him out a champion" (see footnote 2).
Seldom, if ever, have truer words been spoken in jest.
Height and weight 183 cm / 85 kg
Team(s)[Collingwood (1920â€"1937)
306 games, 1299 goals
¹ Statistics to end of 1937 season
Career highlights

• VFL leading goalkicker 1926â€"1930, 1933 (6 times)

• Collingwood leading goalkicker 1922â€"1937 (16 times)

• Collingwood Premiership side 1927â€"1930, 1935

• Victoria Representative (25 games, 100 goals)

• First VFL/AFL player to reach 300 games.

• First VFL/AFL player to kick 100 goals in a season.

• First VFL/AFL player to kick 1000 goals.

AFEV

I know who Boomzie is going to pick and I'm already sad :(

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Sid on October 31, 2011, 04:50:05 PM

You seem to get sad a lot doing you?  :P

AFEV

Quote from: c4v3m4n on October 31, 2011, 04:50:35 PM

Haha we'll being one pick behind Boomzie for the majority of this draft is going to suck because we want the same players :-X

He'll be takign the best full forward (in my mind) ever, but I suppose I can just take Coleman at #1 in the 40's.

Boomz

Ken Farmer

Known as "The Bradman of Goalkickers" and for good reason!

In 13 seasons and 224 games for North Adelaide, Farmer kicked 1419 goals, making him the highest goal scorer in the history of the SANFL.
Ken Farmer 17 representative games for South Australia & yielded a further 81 goals, giving him a career total of 1500 goals; he places second behind only _______ as the highest goal-scorer in top-level senior Australian rules football history.

224 games and 1419 goals for North Adelaide (1929â€"41)
Captain of North Adelaide (1934-35, 1937-38, 1941)
Played 17 matches for South Australia
Kicked over 100 goals in 11 seasons
Leading goal kicker for North Adelaide (1929â€"41)
SANFL leading goal kicker (1930-40)
Inducted Australian Football Hall of Fame 1998
Inducted SANFL Hall of Fame 2002

FB: __________, __________, __________
HB: __________, Dan Moriarty, __________
C: Shine Hosking, __________, __________
HF: __________, _________, __________
FF: __________, Ken Farmer, __________
R: Tom Leahy, __________, Mark "Napper" Tandy
INT: __________, __________, __________, __________

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Sid on October 31, 2011, 04:55:44 PM
Quote from: c4v3m4n on October 31, 2011, 04:50:35 PM

Haha we'll being one pick behind Boomzie for the majority of this draft is going to suck because we want the same players :-X

He'll be takign the best full forward (in my mind) ever, but I suppose I can just take Coleman at #1 in the 40's.

The best full-forward ever (IMO) wont be picked for ages.

I think I have the hardest choice to make out of anyone...I have first pick in the 60s.  :-\

Quote from: BOOMZ on October 31, 2011, 04:57:24 PM
Ken Farmer

Known as "The Bradman of Goalkickers" and for good reason!

Lol. There have been many players named the "Bradman of Goalkickers".  :P

Great pick nonetheless.

AFEV

So my next pick will be...

Albert Collier.

One of the greatest full backs ever to play the game, and an integral part of the Collingwood machine that won four premierships in a row, I'm pleased to pick him up with the 3rd selection in this era.
One of the hardest players to ever play the game, Collier had a bad case of white line fever. Reportedly, he was the only player that 'Captain Blood' (Jack Dyer, a notoriously tough footballer) didn't dare mess with.
He made his debut for Collingwood in 1925 as a 15 year old (the second youngest man ever to play VFL/AFL) Collier soon became a cult figure at the club. Two seasons later he'd feature in his first premiership, one of 4 that he won before being forced to leave Victoria. At the conclusion of the 1930 season Collier moved to Tasmania because Collingwood could not organise work for him, he'd return three years later (in 1933) and win two more premierships (1935-36) before retiring in 1939.
While in Tasmania he played for Cananore, and won the Leitch Medal (1931.)

One of the most decorated centre half backs ever, Collier won 6 Premierships, a Brownlow Medal, 3 Best and Fairests and a Leitch Medal, he also represented the state on 12 occasions.

An AFL Hall of Fame member, and the CHB in the Collingwood Team of the Century, Collier is a fantastic addition to the team.

FB: _______, _______, Harold Oliver
HB: _______, Albert Collier, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, _______, _______
HF: _______, _______, _______
FF: _______, _______, _______
FOLL: _______, Tom Mackenzie, _______

BratPack

My pick

Walter Scott

Walter Scott was one of South Australia's finest ever defenders and arguably the most illustrious name in the history of the Norwood Football Club. His abilities were evident right from the start of his League career in 1920 when, in a Norwood team that was good enough to play off for the premiership, he won the club's best and fairest award.
The following season saw Scott (known affectionately as 'Wat' or 'Wacka') make the first of what would end up being an Australian record 38 consecutive interstate appearances.  He was also runner up in the Magarey Medal despite receiving the same number of votes as the winner,South Adelaide's Dan Moriarty. [see footnote 1]   Consolation was later to arrive in the shape of the 1924 and 1930 Medals.
Along with Dan Moriarty and Jack Hamilton ( who was later replaced by Jim Handby), Walter Scott completed South Australia's most celebrated interstate half back line.  Normally placed on a flank, with Moriarty in the middle, Scott was arguably the most defensively-minded member of the unit.  A strong, safe mark when in front position, he was also a redoubtable spoiler from behind, with uncanny judgement of the flight of the ball the key to both skills.  Sound judgement was also a major element in Scott's prowess as a ground player, and he shared with the likes of Bruce Doull, Guy McKenna, Frank Jenkins and Kevin Murray the quintessential defender's capacity for seldom lowering his colours in a one on one contest.
A club record (shared with Michael Taylor) six times winner of the Norwood best and fairest award Walter Scott's career effectively ended after he sustained a serious knee injury in the last minor round game of 1930 against Port Adelaide.  He did later play 2 further games, taking his final tally to 174, but all this did was prove to him that his knee was genuinely 'gone'.  It is perhaps no coincidence that the Redlegs, who had won four premierships and contested seven grand finals during Scott's eleven year career, would have to wait another eleven years for their next flag.
During the 1930s, Walter Scott undertook coaching stints at Norwood, West Adelaide, Glenelg and Sturt, but failed to lift any of these teams above 3rd place on the ladder.  As a player, however, there have been few better.
Playing career¹
Team(s)]Norwood (1920â€"1932)[/t][/t][/t][/t][/t][/t]

• 174 games, 3 goals
Coaching career¹
Team(s)[/t]Norwood (1926â€"1931)
West Adelaide
Glenelg (1936â€"1937)
Sturt (1938â€"1939)
¹ Statistics to end of 2006 season
Career highlights

• Norwood captain (1926â€"1930)

• Member of 4 premiership teams at Norwood

• Six time best and fairest at Norwood

• Played 38 matches for South Australia (national record), captain 1930

• Coached Norwood, West Adelaide, Sturt and Glenelg (total of 12 years)

• Norwood Team of the Century (Centre Half-Back)

FB: __________, Peter Burns, __________
HB: __________, Tom Fitzmaurice, Walter Scott
C: __________, __________, __________
HF: __________, _________, __________
FF: William "Nipper" Truscott , __________, __________
R: _________, __________, John D. Daly
INT: __________, __________, __________, __________
[/td][/tr][/table]

c4v3m4n

I'll do my write-up later, but I choose Syd Coventry.  :D

Boomz

Nice picks :) Ossie up with a double.