All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

Dan Moriarty

Moriarty made his league debut for South Adelaide, immediately becoming one of the league's star players at centre half-back. In each of his first three seasons â€" 1919, 1920 and 1921 â€" Moriarty won the Magarey Medal as the fairest and most brilliant player in the league. He remains the only player to have won the Magarey Medal in three consecutive seasons.

Moriarty's size (178cm, 76kg) was small compared with most of the other great centre half-backs in the history of the game. As a defender, he tightly marked his direct opponent, had a very high leap with which he could spoil the ball, and was credited with a strong ability to read and anticipate the play; in a self-assessment, Moriarty credited his ability to read the play as the most important contributor to his success as a player.

FB: __________, __________, __________
HB: __________, Dan Moriarty, __________
C: Shine Hosking, __________, __________
HF: __________, _________, __________
FF: __________, __________, __________
R: Tom Leahy, __________, __________
INT: __________, __________, __________, __________

AFEV

My third pick will be...

Jack 'Snowy' Hamilton

QuotePossessed of exhilarating pace, extraordinary fluidity and grace of movement, deft ball handling skills, and aerial prowess of the highest order it is small wonder that Jack Hamilton was accorded the title by his contemporaries of ‘the Prince of Footballers’. Of course, this was very much a contemporary assessment, made at a time when footballers tended to be judged first and foremost in terms of the ability they displayed rather than the competition in which they performed. This perhaps goes a long way towards explaining the omission of ‘the Prince of Footballers’ the AFL’s much vaunted, but often singularly myopic, ‘Hall of Fame’.

Along with #UNPICKED PLAYER# of Norwood and South Adelaide’s Dan Moriarty Hamilton formed what, by common tradition, has come to be regarded as South Australia’s greatest ever half back line. Of the three players, Hamilton was arguably the most eye-catching

PLAYING RECORD:
•   64 games and 19 goals for North Adelaide 1919 – 1921, 1931 - 1932
•   7 games and 3 goals for West Adelaide 1922 (Applied for a clearance to West Adelaide in 1925 but it was refused.)
•   67 games for Subiaco 1923 – 1924, 1926 – 1927, 1930
•   Captain of Subiaco 1924, 1926 (Premiership Captain in 1924)

PREMIERSHIPS :
•   Member of the premiership teams for North Adelaide 1920, 1931
•   Member of the premiership team for Subiaco 1924

MATCHES FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA :
•   7 games for South Australia 1919 – 1921, 1922

MATCHES FOR WESTERN AUSTRALIA :
•   9 games and 2 goals for Western Australia 1923, 1924, 1926, 1927

ACHIEVEMENTS :
•   Best and fairest of Subiaco 1923, 1924
•   Best Player for Western Australia (Western Australia versus South Australia, Perth Oval) 21/07/1923

FB: _______, _______, _______
HB: _______, _______, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, _______, _______
HF: _______, _______, _______
FF: _______, _______, _______
FOLL: _______, Tom Mackenzie, _______

BratPack

William "Nipper" Truscott

In a brilliant senior career lasting more than twenty seasons William Truscott proved himself a football artist of the highest order, and yet he grew up playing rugby.  It was not until his parents moved from Sydney to the Western Australian goldfields that Truscott, then in his early teens, even realised that Australian football existed.  However, it was not long before he proved himself a natural at the game and, after a solid grounding with junior side Trafalgar, he fronted up with Mines Rovers in the senior goldfields competition in 1906.  At this time the standard of football being played in the Kalgoorlie-Coolgardie region was the equal of that almost anywhere in Australia, and in both 1908 and 1911 Truscott, still playing with Mines Rovers, was selected to represent Western Australia in the Melbourne and Adelaide carnivals. In 1913 Truscott, already with a formidable reputation as an accomplished senior footballer, joined East Fremantle, where he was to enjoy an illustrious fourteen season career.
Although his loping stride made him appear slow, Truscott actually moved over the ground as quickly as most of his opponents, and once he gained possession of the ball he invariably disposed of it - usually with either a drop kick or stab pass - to telling effect.  A member of three East Fremantle premiership sides, 'Nipper' Truscott also played in seven losing grand finals, while for over a decade his name was almost invariably one of the first to be penned in by the Western Australian state selectors.  All told, he played in no fewer than five interstate carnivals, creating an Australian record which still endures.  His finest moment came in 1921 when he skippered his adopted state to its first interstate championship victory. 
Overall, if you include games played in the goldfields competition, which at the time Truscott played in it (early 20th century) was irrefutably of league standard, William 'Nipper' Truscott played well over 400 games.  According to Dolph Heinrichs, "Truscott was the finest centreman of them all.  His great merit was his disposal of the ball.  The writer cannot remember Truscott ever punting a ball, always it was a drop kick, stabbed with the name of the recipient on it.......Truscott possessed a long, easy stride, which made him faster than he appeared, and he was a master of ground play.....Truscott played the game as it should be played; with skill, and scrupulous fairness."  (See footnote 1)
Truscott made a fleeting return to top level football in 1934 as non-playing coach of Victoria Park, the name by which Perth was known for a couple of seasons. He managed to get his charges into the finals, but they fell at the penultimate hurdle against West Perth .

Height/Weight
175 cm / 66 kg 
Position(s)
Rover, forward pocket
Playing career: 1913-1927

Games: 201 Goals: NA

Career highlights

FB: __________, Peter Burns, __________
HB: __________, __________, __________
C: __________, __________, __________
FF: William "Nipper" Truscott , __________, __________
R: _________, __________, John D. Daly

c4v3m4n

Am I right in saying that I have three picks to take?

One from the 1890/1900s and then two from the 1910s?

ossie85

Indeed you would be! Btw,, good picks everybody

c4v3m4n

Jeez, it was so tough trying to pick the last 1890s/1900s player. I was torn between two fantastic players, but only one could win out.

That player is...

Harry 'Vic' Cumberland.

Harry 'Vic' Cumberland was one of the best and most durable players of the early game. When he retired in 1920, after a career of 23 years, Cumberland himself was 43 years of age, a record that still stands today.

His career started in Tasmania in the last 1890s, and in 1898 he was recruited to play for Melbourne after they were so impressed with his skills, endurance and marking ability. After 6 years, he moved to St. Kilda where he would play most of his career at different periods. He did also play for Auckland in the Auckland Australian Football League and Sturt in the SANFL.

His exceptional skills were recognized on three occasions, with two "Champion of the Colony" awards in 1904 and 1913, and a Magarey Medal in 1911.

Career Stats

Playing Career: Late 1890s - 1920 ( ? in Tasmania Late 1890s, Melbourne 1898 - 1901, St. Kilda 1903 - 1904, Auckland 1905 - 1906, St. Kilda 1907 - 1908, Sturt 1909 - 1911, St. Kilda 1912 - 1915, 1920)
Games: 215+
Goals: 120+

Career Highlights

1900 Melbourne Premiership player
1904, 1913 Champion of the Colony award winner
1911 Magarey Medal winner
Victorian representative (3 games, 3 goals)
South Australian representative (9 games, 0 goals)

Victorian Team of the Century member
AFL Hall of Fame member

Very happy with this choice to round out the 1890/1900 era. I'll post my next two up very shortly.

c4v3m4n's Titans

HF: __________, Albert Thurgood, __________
R: __________, __________, Vic Cumberland

c4v3m4n

For my next two picks in the 1910 era...two fantastic players that I am stoked I could get my hands on.

The first of these two...

...it's Vic Thorp!

Vic Thorp is considered to be one of the first superstars of the VFL. He played 263 games for Richmond between 1910 and 1925. In this time, he won the best and fairest for Richmond twice in 1917 and 1924 and played in Richmond's dual premiership team of 1920 and 1921.

He was a very natural defender (playing at full-back), showing incredible judgement, superior ball skills and gutsy determination. It's said that his retirement was probably a little premature, as he was playing the best football of his career in his final years.

He's also an AFL Hall of Famer, and was exceptionally unlucky to miss out on a place in the AFL's Team of the Century.

Career Stats

Playing Career: 1910 - 1925
Games: 263
Goals: 7

Career Highlights

1917, 1924 Richmond Best and Fairest winner
1920, 1921 Richmond Premiership player
Victoria representative (14 games, 0 goals)
Richmond Team of the Century
AFL Hall of Fame member

For my second pick...I have selected...

...Horrie Gorringe.

Horrie Gorringe is arguably the greatest footballer that Tasmania has ever produced.

Gorringe played for Cananore in the TFL between 1914 and 1930. He was the finest of rovers; quick, elusive and highly skilled, he was described by Gordon Coventry as 'the perfect footballer' and by Ivor Warne-Smith as 'the greatest rover the game has ever seen'. Others have said that he was the most complete football of his age - perhaps any age.

That's high praise indeed.

Victorian teams threw everything at Gorringe to get him to play from them in the VFL; Carlton even offered to buy him a farm! However, he decided to stay in the Apple Isle, where he'd continue to run rings around his opponents.

More recently, Gorringe was named in Tasmania's Team of the Century and was inducted in both the AFL and Tasmanian Hall of Fame.

Career Stats

Playing Career: 1914 - 1930 (Cananore 1914 - 1930)
Games: ?
Goals: ?

Career Achievements

1924 Player of the Carnival (State of Origin tournament)
1928 Cananore Best and Fairest winner

Tasmania Team of the Century member
Tasmania Hall of Fame member
AFL Hall of Fame member

Very happy with those two choices. Vic Thorp will slot nicely into full-back and for the time being, I'll place Gorringe in the forward pocket as he was listed in Tasmania's Team of the Century.

c4v3m4n's Titans

FB: __________, Vic Thorp, __________
HF: __________, Albert Thurgood, __________
FF: __________, __________, Horrie Gorringe
R: __________, __________, Vic Cumberland

BratPack

Well I'm half smashed but I know C4 didn't take my pick so I'll lock my pick in now

Tom Fitzmaurice

After beginning his league career with Essendon in 1918 as a high flying ruckman, Tom Fitzmaurice was forced to reinvent himself after sustaining a leg injury while playing for North Sydney in 1922.  The following year he returned to Essendon and quickly developed into the best centre half back in the VFL, helping steer the side to back to back flags in 1923 and 1924.  His time with the Dons came to an end in acrimonious circumstances, however: at the end of the 1924 season, a charity challenge match was arranged between Essendon and VFA premier Footscray, ostensibly for the 'championship of Victoria'; after Footscray scored a surprise win, Fitzmaurice publicly denounced certain of his team mates for 'playing dead', and walked out on the club.  The 1925 season saw him at Geelong, where he had the satisfaction of playing in a third successive premiership team.  After four years with the Cats he clambered aboard the football merry-go-round, with the remaining ten seasons of his illustrious career taking in spells at Mortlake, Yarraville, North Melbourne, Brunswick and Manuka.  During his time with North he showed that he was still as potent a force as ever by topping the club's goal kicking list for three consecutive seasons.

Height/Weight
192cm / 96kg
Position(s)
Defender / Forward 
Playing career1
Years
Club Games (Goals)

1918â€"24 Essendon
1925â€"1928 Geelong

1932â€"1935 North Melbourne

Total 85 (30)
49 (20)
54 (196)

188 (246)

Coaching career3

• Essendon premierships 1923, 1924
  • Essendon Best & Fairest 1922, 1923, 1924
  • Geelong premiership 1925
  • Geelong captain-coach 1928
  • North Melbourne joint captain-coach 1934â€"1935
  • North Melbourne leading goalkicker 1932, 1934
  • Victorian representative 12 matches
  • New South Wales representative 1 match

FB: __________, Peter Burns, __________
HB: __________, Tom Fitzmaurice, __________
FF: William "Nipper" Truscott , __________, __________
R: _________, __________, John D. Daly

AFEV

Darn you for taking Gorringe C4 :'(
Was hoping he would slip.

Just noticed it is my pick - It will be up shortly.

AFEV

My fourth selection will be...

Harold Oliver.
In a career that spanned over 12 years, Port Adelaide legend Harold Oliver was best known for his ball handling skills, high marking, exhilarating pace and versatility. Often referred to as the best player never to win a Magarey Medal, Oliver was consistently in the best for both South Australia, and Port Adelaide.
He won the Best and Fairest award twice at Port Adelaide, in 1911-12. At the beginning of the 1921 season, Oliver was named captain of the Port Adelaide side, he'd go on to lead them to the 1921 Premiership Cup, the 4th he played in with the club (1910, 1913-14, 1921.)
A member of the successful 1911 SA Carnival Team, this was one of just 3 Carnivals that he played in for South Australia.

Harold Oliver was also named in the South Australian Team of the Century, and is a member of the SANFL Hall of Fame.

In the modern game, Oliver could be used as a 'Mr Fix-It' type of player, being capable of performing with distinction in the midfield, forward line and back line. His marking abilities would also allow for me to play him as a 3rd tall.

FB: _______, _______, Harold Oliver
HB: _______, _______, Jack Hamilton
C: Charlie Pannam, _______, _______
HF: _______, _______, _______
FF: _______, _______, _______
FOLL: _______, Tom Mackenzie, _______

Boomz

Mark "Napper" Tandy

A supremely accomplished rover/wingman who, along with Roy Cazaly, tore the heart out of the opposition. His quiet and easy-going nature led to Cazaly nicknaming him "napper" - as though he had gone to sleep on the field. Playing as a wingman early in his career, he brought South Melbourne their second premiership in the 1918 Grand Final. With South trailing by a point, Tandy made an inspired run down the wing to deliver the ball into the forward lines where Laird kicked the winning goal.

South Melbourne 1911-1915, 1917-1926 (207 games, 47 goals)
South Melbourne captain 1922
South Melbourne premiership 1918
South Melbourne/Sydney Swans Team of the Century
Victorian representative (13 matches, 8 goals)
Member of the Australian Football Hall of Fame

HB: __________, Dan Moriarty, __________
C: Shine Hosking, __________, __________
R: Tom Leahy, __________, Mark "Napper" Tandy

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Sid on October 30, 2011, 08:40:27 AM
Darn you for taking Gorringe C4 :'(
Was hoping he would slip.

I was hoping he'd slip too...  :P

c4v3m4n   1
Sid           0

AFEV

I actually rate him as the best player for this era, but convinced myself that he'd slip because he played in Tas.
Oh how wrong I was :-\

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Sid on October 30, 2011, 04:03:12 PM
I actually rate him as the best player for this era, but convinced myself that he'd slip because he played in Tas.
Oh how wrong I was :-\

You snooze, you lose.  :P