All Time Fantasy Draft: Eras

Started by AFEV, October 24, 2011, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Jock McHale

Known primarily as the most prolific coach in Aussie Rules history, McHale was also a extremely consistent midfielder.

James Francis "Jock" McHale, (12 December 1881 â€" 4 October 1953) was an Australian rules football player and coach for the Collingwood Football Club in the Victorian Football League in a marathon career that extended from 1903 to 1949.

The son of an Irish-born policeman, John Francis, and his wife Mary (née Gibbons), the young McHale was born in Sydney, New South Wales but moved to Melbourne with his family at age 5. He attended St Bridget's primary school in North Fitzroy and St Paul's in Coburg, then moved on to Christian Brothers' College (Parade) in East Melbourne and completed three years of secondary school. Having just turned 15, he left school to take a position with the McCracken Brewery.

McHale joined Coburg, at the time a junior club, and came to notice with his consistency, which led to an invitation to play at Collingwood. McHale made his league debut in 1903 for the black and white, playing as a half-back before moving into the centre. Durability was the cornerstone of his reputation as a player â€" he set a VFL record by playing 191 games consecutively between 1906 and 1917. This record was not beaten until 1943. He served as captain-coach from 1912â€"1913 and as a playing coach from 1914 up to the 1917 premiership, his second premiership after being part of the 1910 premiership side. McHale played a handful of matches in 1918 and 1920, but from 1918 to 1949 he made his name as the most successful coach in VFL/AFL history, deeds for which he is best remembered. As a player, McHale played 261 games and kicked 18 goals, as well as representing Victoria.

B: - - -
HB: Jock McHale - -
C: - - -
HF: - - -
F: - Dick Lee -
Foll: - - -
Inter: - - - -

AFEV

Nice pick. Underrated as a player due to his exceptional coaching record.

DazBurg

both picks you have had Ossie are both no doubt great players
but i can't help at laugh at the fact they also both happen to be collingwood players...lol

ossie85

Yeah, I COULD try and get a team of just Pies players :)

But I won't

Do I wait for C4 before I take my 1910s pick?

AFEV

Quote from: ossie85 on October 28, 2011, 10:29:44 PM

But I won't

Don't see why you have to, not going to change anything :)

DazBurg

Quote from: Sid on October 28, 2011, 10:31:14 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on October 28, 2011, 10:29:44 PM

But I won't

Don't see why you have to, not going to change anything :)
yeah but considering everyone else is on might end up being him behind on both era's...lol

ossie85

KK, just to keep it moving!

Well you work to earn a living
But on weekends comes the time
You can do what ever turns you on
Get out and clear your mind
Me, I like football
And there's a lot of things around
But when you line 'em up together
The footy wins hands down

Up there cazaly, in there and fight
Out there and at 'em, show 'em your might
Up there cazaly, don't let 'em in
Fly like an angel, you're out there to win

Cazaly was born in Albert Park, a suburb of Melbourne, on 13 January 1893. He was the tenth child of English-born James Cazaly and his wife Elizabeth Jemima (née McNee), a midwife and herbalist from Scotland.
He learnt his football at the local state school, quickly becoming its first-choice ruckman. He made his debut in the Victorian Football League for St Kilda in 1911. His first game came during a players' strike, when many of St Kilda's regular senior players refused to play as a result of a dispute with the club's commitee over dressing rooms.[1] He played 99 matches with St Kilda.

In 1920 he left St Kilda, signing with South Melbourne. He coached that club in 1922, and won South's most consistent player award in 1926.

Cazaly was famous for his ability to take spectacular marks despite his small stature, and at South Melbourne a teammate, Fred "Skeeter" Fleiter, would often yell "Up there, Cazaly", a phrase that would become synonymous with Australian Rules football. He initially developed his marking ability by jumping at a ball strung up in a shed at his home, and held his breath as he jumped, an action that he believed lifted him higher. He also possessed the capacity to kick a football over 65 metres. In 2009 The Australian nominated Cazaly as one of the 25 greatest footballers never to win a Brownlow medal.[

In 1928 he departed Victoria and headed for Launceston, Tasmania, before returning in 1931 to coach the Preston in the Victorian Football Association. His subsequent return to Tasmania was punctuated by short stints as non-playing coach of South Melbourne (in 1937â€"1938), playing coach of Camberwell (in 1941) and non-playing coach of Hawthorn (in 1942â€"1943), and as non-playing assistant coach of South in 1947. While coaching Hawthorn, he was reported to have given the club its nickname the "Hawks" as he saw it as tougher than their original nickname the "Mayblooms".

Roy Cazaly as coach of the North Hobart Football Club in the early 1930s

He is known to have played 378 senior matches (including 13 interstate matches for Victoria and 5 for Tasmania). Throughout his career he stood at just 180 centimetres (5 feet 11 inches) and was incredibly fit. He retired from competitive football in 1941 at the age of 48. Later, he coached (non-playing) New Town to a number of Tasmanian Football League premierships. After his retirement from football, he was involved in many business ventures before his death in Hobart on 10 October 1963. His son, Roy junior, played for New Town after World War Two.

The famous line of "Up there, Cazaly" was used a battle cry by Australian forces during World War II.

It is also the name of a song, released in 1979 by Mike Brady and Two-Man Band.
Cazaly was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame in 1996 as one of the inaugural twelve Legends.

LEGEND

B: - - -
HB: Jock McHale - -
C: - - -
HF: - - -
F: - Dick Lee -
Foll: Roy Cazaly - -
Inter: - - - -

DazBurg

well i'm up next i know who i'm picking but u think we should wait for C4?....cuz we all on so he'd fall a bit behind

AFEV

UP THERE CAZALY! Was my first pick for this era as well, nicely done Os 8)
Nah Daz cos we'll only get to his pick anyway :\ He will get to pick the same players he would if we'd waited for him.

Depends what others think though.

ossie85

Agree Sid. But we won't start the 1920s yet though... He won't fall that far behind

AFEV

Quote from: ossie85 on October 28, 2011, 10:48:05 PM

Agree Sid. But we won't start the 1920s yet though... He won't fall that far behind
Oh dear no, we'll all take our first pick in 10s and then it'll be his pick and he'll get his 24 hours as per the rules.

ossie85

In fact if anything it advantages C4, cos he can choose his 1900 pick knowing what players are available in 1910

Boomz

Quote from: ossie85 on October 28, 2011, 10:49:20 PM
In fact if anything it advantages C4, cos he can choose his 1900 pick knowing what players are available in 1910

Was about to say that lol

DazBurg

well for my next pick

Ivor Warne-Smith

n 1926 Melbourne won the premiership and Warne-Smith the Brownlow medal, the V.F.L.'s award for best and fairest player. Two years later he won a second Brownlow, the first man to do so. He was captain-coach in 1928-31 and non-playing coach in 1932 though he briefly came out of retirement as a player during the season. Additionally, he represented Victoria on six occasions, several as State captain.
Warne-Smith was 5 ft 11½ ins (182 cm) tall and weighed 12 st. 7 lb. (79 kg). He performed well in almost any position, including the ruck, but many of his best games were as a centre-man. An intelligent player, he could kick with either foot, take high marks and change the direction of the game with his handball

playing career: 1919, 1925â€"32
Games: 146
Goals: 110

Player honors:

Brownlow Medal 1926, 1928
    Runner-up Brownlow Medal 1929 (equal)
    Runner-up Cheel Medal 1923, 1924
    Latrobe premiership player 1922, 1924
    Melbourne premiership player 1926
    Melbourne Team of the Century
    Tasmanian Team of the Century
    Latrobe captain-coach 1922â€"1924
    Melbourne captain-coach 1928â€"1931
    Victorian representative (6 games, 0 goals).

ossie85