9 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Justin Bieber

Name: Stephen Coniglio
Position: Inside Midfielder
Age (by draft day): 17
Height: 182cm
Weight: 76kg

Coniglio has probably been the most talked about draft prospect this season, mainly because he was yet to decide between AFL and Cricket. Luckily for us, he chose AFL . But why so much fuss over him? Well he managed to win the Larke Medal as the best player in Division One of the 2011 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships playing as the Captain of Western Australia. He is probably in the top tier of players in this draft which is why he'll most likely go in the top 2 to GWS.

As a midfielder, he gains plenty of Clearances and Tackles with his inside work. Not only that but he has some speed in his legs to break away from the pack which makes him quite a midfielder to help build a team around for the future. As shown by his Larke Medal, Coniglio has the potential to be a future captain for his club with his leadership qualities as well as his on-field workrate through his solid endurance. He has played 6 games for Swans District in the WAFL this season (U18 duties took him away for quite a while) in which he managed to average over 18 disposals a game. He does have a tendency to give away free kicks but manages to balance it out with free kicks for. Not to mention his ability to play Half Forward flank, setting up goals for teammates. He may not kick alot of goals regularly but he can kick goals and attack if forward. Although wouldn't expect too much of him goal-scoring wise in his first season. I'd like to think of him as a Andrew Swallow type of midfielder which should see him influence the game a bit from the midfield if given the chance.

Fantasy Relevant? I'd like to think he is a very capable player. He'll more than likely turn out into a David Swallow type scorer first season, a solid scorer in his first season. Swallow had Ablett while Coniglio has a few more midfielders around him to help him out which makes me think he could go for a little more. His ability to play forward flank is tempting as who doesn't like a midfielder who can push up for some goals here and there, especially if GWS need attacking players (More than likely to go to GWS). Yet being a top 3 pick (99.8% certain) will mean he comes with a little more hefty price tag. This price tag will make me question him especially with the midfield this talent this season where you could save anywhere from 20-50k on the downgrade from Coniglio. No doubt he has talent but if he goes to GWS, I think Dylan Shiels or Adam Treloar could be just as tempting at a lower price.

Maca24

Lock for me.  8)
Great profile aswell.
I may be able to help out with profiles this preseason.

Justin Bieber

Haha Maca. He's certainly tempting with his skills. Him and Jaeger apparently killed it at the U18 Championships for WA. Wonder if GWS would keep the pair together :-X.

Cheers Maca :D. Was planning on going through the predicted top 10-20 before I do a few players all over the place (as some guys I rate are expected to drop quite a bit). Should put together quite the list if I can get through 2-3 a day :D.

MajorLazer

Think I may take Shiel instead. Maybe even Treloar.

Not sure if I will get any high priced rookies like Swallow this year. Save some money and use it elsewhere.

bomberboy0618

Locked as well, not skimping on rookies this year.

Ziplock

Quote from: MajorLazer on September 24, 2011, 07:11:59 PM

Not sure if I will get any high priced rookies like Swallow this year. Save some money and use it elsewhere.

I did the same thing with swallow this year and regretted it. Not much, but enough :P

I'll be jumping on I think.

I *may* do some player profiles, we'll see how it goes. Out of curiosity HP, where are you getting your stats from?

Justin Bieber

Can't remember but another forum had all his stats just there (With a player profile like mine but stats in table form). I just interpretted the stats as it's hard to find decent stats for those outside of the TAC competition :(. Although the write ups are my own ;).

For most of the VIC players, I can go to this site: http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-3020-0-150804-0&a=STATS&sgroup=possessions - Just need to look up their name.

roo boys!

Ziplock

does anyone know if monty will be posting the WAFL and SAFL stats etc. like he did last year?

Luigi197

haha was waiting for you to do this guy ;)
\Locked IN!

charliesheen

Quote from: MajorLazer on September 24, 2011, 07:11:59 PM

+1. 

Given how the GCS rookies performed in 2011, I am not sure I can justify spending an extra ~50k here.  Will need an exceptional preseason or MPP classification to come into consideration.

Will probably probably skip the number 1 pick Patton as well.

meow meow

Izzy, Cameron and Bruce will be the KPP fowards for GWS so Patton won't play much in year 1 IMO.

Coniglio is a gun though, and i'll be jumping on regardless of his price.

PowerBug

Izz  y, Cameron Bruce, going to be the Key forward for Hawthorn next season?

charliesheen

Note, the supercoach winner of 2011, didn't have D. Swallow, who was considered a must by many (also missed Curnow & Liba).

I guess its going to be a balancing act, and whether you actually think the extra $$$ can justify the pick.

I think it interesting that people are jumping on 'band wagons' so early, especially given that the GCS rookies have not lived up to their expectations (apart from the matured age recruits).

Could very well end up with Bennel like scoring.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: meow meow on September 27, 2011, 06:12:29 PM
Izzy, Cameron and Bruce will be the KPP fowards for GWS so Patton won't play much in year 1 IMO.

Coniglio is a gun though, and i'll be jumping on regardless of his price.
I'd say Bruce is more of a utility rather than a KPP. Patton will play as he's more ready. Sam Day from Suns is a project player (somewhat of a comparison) while Patton is known to be able to handle double teams (apparently has faced them for years). But as this is Coniglio, off topic :-X.

Interesting indeed charlie. It's the price tag which worries me and many. 4 other Who Knows says we aren't the only ones ;).