Buying trades............

Started by SimonOz, May 11, 2009, 12:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonOz

I know that DT is tweaked each year.....just wondering if perhaps next year they either add say 2 trades to make it 22 ( would equate with # of rds ) - or perhaps install a function whereby you can buy trades for cash.

It seems this year there are far more injuries than most other years, and with the speed & physical nature of the game, not to mention players are getting bigger & bigger...that injuries will only continue to escalate.

Much like the NAB season...with extended benches....which is already being talked about for the main season - I could see something similar for SC/DT next year.

I would assume that most other fantasy coaches like myself this year have spent more time replacing 3-6 week injured players than upgrades to premiums - and most likely we will all pay for it in the last third of the season.

Will be interesting to see for 2009 SC or DT teams average scores over the last 5-6 games compared to other seasons - have a feeling they will be reduced due to all the plugging of holes during the season.

Thoughts ?

Prospector_1

I think being able to buy (or sell!) trades would make a very interesting extension to the game.

yogibbear

i can still barring only 1 or 2 more LTIs make my 22 x premium lock dream team. so if anything that means their too many trades...

obviously that still means i need to pick all the right rookie trades from here on. but i should only be max 1 or 2 short.

no idea. in general i don't like tweaking things that already work... probably just have a major overhaul come the new team that screws everything up anyway. Then injuries and byes will play havoc. Especially if your team is anything like mine with 5/6 geelong players...

MaqAttaq

You should be able to Buy/Sell your trade as part of the Salary Cap

Oxym0ron

22 Rds....22 trades

sounds fair

ronl

Very interesting...but what should it cost to buy a trade or sell one.  Too cheap and you may as well have unlimited trading which would make the game very very boring.  Buying a trade should probably be expensive enough that you have to seriously budget for it, like saving up to buy a premium, if it's too easy what's the point - lots of different ways of looking at it, be interested to hear what others think it should cost.

robpaw

The EPL Dreamteam run by Sportal gives you 60 trades (to use over a 38-game EPL season) - and that makes it a very different game to AFL Dreamteam. With so many trades at your disposal the aim is all about trading players like mad and generating cash in the early part of the season so that you can afford ASAP to fill your team with ManUre/Chelski/Liverpool/Arsenal players and thereby almost guarantee yourself big scores every week. Sounds good in theory but what it has meant in practice is that by halfway through the season most of the teams are packed with the same stars from the big 4 teams and no one cares about unearthing the gilt-edged rookie who may make the difference..

Unlimited trading would make the game dull and take out some of the skill in playerpicking, but i do think that 20 trades is a bit on the lean side if you're unable to "buy" more trades. I agree that trades should be expensive enough to ensure we dont make them willy-nilly. Maybe $50k? - although thats only 0.6% of our initial salary cap so maybe it would need to be higher??

hibbo

Buying trades would eliminate part of skill in playing dt IMO. The more "skillful" dreamteam players can account for injuries better as they use their trades more wisely. Buying trades would get people out of injury trouble to easily. Injuries hit everyone, and it's how people deal with them that determines where they will finish come rd 22.

So like I said buying trades is an easy outlet to cover injuries and therefore takes away from those who saved their trades well. But, maybe people should be allowed to do as many trades as they want in a week so they can cover 3+ injuries.

But when the 17th team comes in, VS will need to look at something like buying trades or having extra trades...

antman

What do you guys think of this idea? with the bye being able to trade the players that have the bye out of your team without the use of a trade. any thoughts.

hibbo

Gold Coast doesn't come in next year does it? Thought it was in 2011

antman

yeh sorry hibbo got ahead of myself

Prospector_1

Supposing there was a kind of "tax". If you want 3 or more trades in a week, that puts you over some "threshold". This could attract a ?10%? surcharge on all $$$ changing hands. Thus, a strong disincentive to counteract the excessive use of the privilege.

SimonOz

Good discussion points so far.......

I'd guess in 2011 with gc17 that either the trades will increase or perhaps the bench is extended, say an extra player in each position, to combat the bye etc.

Antman has a good point - bye trades wont count as a trade. We have something similar here in the States....a bye trade doesnt count, but after the round if you decide to keep the bye replacement the trade does count.
If you let him go ( e...just used for the bye rd ) then the trade wont count.

I do like the idea of buying trades - although I highly doubt it will be implemented. It would have to be costly, 100k.....but I dont know.....seems there is alot agst the idea.

That being said - 2011 there will be a big change.....it would be smart of the HS to poll it and let the fantasy coaches vote on what needs to be done.