Main Menu

Pseudo Karma System

Started by hawk_88, February 14, 2011, 06:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk_88

I think the forum would benefit from having a simple "karma" system and have found a mod that would fill the role perfectly.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1890

I'm not sure that you would display an individual's overall karma (it would be ripe for spam and abuse) but the ability to be able to be able to register that you agree with a post without filling up threads with "I agree" or "+1" etc I think would be great.

It is a system that has been implemented well in many large forums before, including facebook's 'like' system and also serves as a form of social moderation which would make the job of moderating the forum easier.

CrowsFan

+1

Haha jokes. Yeah that does sound like a good idea as it should hopefully get rid of people writing +1 to fill up their post count. (well hopefully should).

Nice thinking hawk ;)

Luigi197

Yea it actually looks pretty good.
But it's a bit confusing and that is a lot of options to chose from. Sometimes its better simpler anyway.
Though nice idea hawk ;)

hawk_88

Quote from: Luigi197 on February 14, 2011, 06:26:01 PM
Yea it actually looks pretty good.
But it's a bit confusing and that is a lot of options to chose from. Sometimes its better simpler anyway.
Though nice idea hawk ;)

From what I can tell without using it you just click either an up or a down arrow.

m0nty

I'm not hugely enamoured with the way people post just to get their post counts up for the purpose of the coach labels, and I don't see this as a way to combat that. Pros is doing a good enough job as mod. The forum isn't so large that it needs this sort of thing yet, I reckon.

Barlow 21

I agree with m0nty on this one.

Boomz

Quote from: Barlow 21 on February 14, 2011, 07:07:42 PM

Why is that not a surprise? ::)

I like the idea but I see m0nty's point I'm not sure it would really cut it out...

nas

Quote from: BOOMZ on February 14, 2011, 07:17:39 PM
Quote from: Barlow 21 on February 14, 2011, 07:07:42 PM

Why is that not a surprise? ::)

I like the idea but I see m0nty's point I'm not sure it would really cut it out...

Yep no surprise & have to go with hawk as agree with the posts count but also can see m0nty's POV.

Prospector_1

Quote from: m0nty on February 14, 2011, 07:03:53 PM
Pros is doing a good enough job as mod.

Nice to have you all agree wtih that!

;D :D 8) ;)

hawk_88

I don't think it will stop people spamming to increase their post count, nor do I think the Pros is doing anything but a stellar job. I think the forum is well moderated, this system would make the job easier, but that is more of a side-effect.

Primarily I like the feature due to what it brings to the community and discussion. It allows people to acknowledge effort in a contribution to the forum, in in-depth discussion, in unique insight or maybe just a joke. By acknowledging this you encourage people to do it again and others to follow suit. Also, as I said before, it allows readers to see where the popular opinion lays without needless posts that simply affirm the original post.

That is just my experience of this type of system when I have used it elsewhere.

Prospector_1

Yeah, I'm prolly more for than agin', maybe when we're ready, eh?

hawk_88

The system certainly works better with a larger volume of traffic, but given the growth this site has seen in the past year it would surprise me if that continues.

That being said, just an idea, the forums are great as they are. In fact the latest update to the theme, especially the "Show unread posts" and "Show new replies", have really improved my ability to see what has recently been posted and what I would be interested in reading/discussing.

Barlow 21

I personally think the Forum is perfect the way it is with an excellent moderator of Pros and superb administrator of m0nty.

Prospector_1

You're not just sucking, RU?

Boomz

Quote from: Prospector_1 on February 21, 2011, 11:59:18 PM
You're not just sucking, RU?

Of course not Barlow would never do that :o ::)

What was the verdict on this in the end? not yet?