Main Menu

Bargain Ruck 2011

Started by nick1408, January 15, 2011, 05:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick1408

With the new season about to commence it is time to again raise my theory.  My team is far from stable at the moment but the starting rucks will include Drew Petrie and Mark Seaby at the moment.

A more detailed writeup will come later

So here is the more detailed writeup.

Basically, two seasons ago I decided to go against conventional thinking and not play Cox at the time as I thought rucks seemed to be a bit more inconsistant than other positions.  In doing this I selected rookie rucks straight up.  This proved a masterstroke as Cox went on to get injured and I didn't need to waste a trade.

With the extra money I saved in both seasons I have tried this I have had a midfield six that never got traded.  700 points gauranteed without thinking and always having a captain.

This season brings more difficulties into it for two reasons:

1. Gold Coast and the issues that come with them and;

2. New rule about interchange.

The first is a bit easier to deal with than  the second.  Because of the byes pretty much what I have tried to do is select no more than three players from the same team and tried to have sub coverage in the rounds where there are three teams with byes (for the early rounds only).

The second rule is where more thinking is required.  Most teams have said the second ruck is dead (R.I.P.).  This will mean the versitile player such as Jarrod Brennan and Tom Hawkins will be more valuable to teams.  What this means to me is that more money needs to be spent on rucks as you need them to play and there is only a gauranteed 16 to play each week instead of the roughly 25 in other seasons.

Firstly, I have had a look att he cheap rucks available and pinpointed a few I like.  I generally try to aim for rucks under $200k so my initial names are:

Drew Petrie
Mark Seaby
David Hale
Brad Moran
Robert Campbell
Jamie Charman
Rhys Stanley

So seven players to fill my two ground spots.

I initally struck off Robert Campbell due to only being a rookie and Brad Moran due to Adelaide signing Jacobs.

Secondly, you need to look and see how a team will play.  North is the most interesting as they have three very good rucks in Petrie, McIntosh and Goldstien.  They have indicated early that all three will play but with early season operations to McIntosh at least both Goldstien and Petrie will play.  All three are fairly versatile in positioning so makes it more likely all three will play when fit so I am not concerned about that so Petrie goes in.

Jamie Charman is old, injury prone, has younger players in front of him and a Brisbane youth policy that doesn't help his cause.  No thanks - but will watch in pre-season.

Mark Seaby is an interesting one.  Sydney head-hunted him, got him, started him as number one then he got injured.  He was subsquently overtaken by Shane Mumford so where does that leave Seaby?  Well I think still as number one with Mumford up forward.  I think both players are too good to not play.  The loser here will be Mike Pyke who played well at the end of last season but if one of the rucks goes down then a midfielder will come in as Sydney also have pinch-hitting rucks.  One to watch but I am confident he will be playing.

David Hale will be my selection if Seaby isn't playing.  He is a new signing at Hawthorn so will play and is a ruck which Hawthorn needs so again, will play.  Interestingly enough I have Max Bailey as a bench ruck right now but David Hale is a definate player to be looking at but his scoring is a bit on the low side so he is #3 for me.

So now you can see my thinking and why I have gone with Seaby and Petrie.  Later on I will add my selected team.  As usual, people won't like this way to play, will flame (due to the personalities on this forum), but some will be constructive, some will be helpful and some will post thoughtful comments.

More to come....

Justin Bieber

Seaby? Even with Mummy there, who was quite good last season. I'd go for Fraser instead.

Still, will be an interesting read and year again.

elephants

Quote from: Hellopplz on January 15, 2011, 07:25:01 PM
Seaby? Even with Mummy there, who was quite good last season. I'd go for Fraser instead.

Still, will be an interesting read and year again.
+1 i would a have thought fraser??
also will the mpp with the rucks be worth it next year?

CuStArDaRm

dont listen to them Seaby is a top choice.......................

YOU SPUD!

DT87

Once again, Josh Fraser is a much, much better choice than any of the guys you mentioned aside from Petrie and is easily worth the extra $30k or so.

I have come to like the bargain ruck theory, as it is much easier to avoid donuts in the rucks than any other position. However I don't think speculating on someone like Seaby is a good idea, Fraser and Petrie is the only logical choice this year. I personally don't see the point of the "set and forget" ruck combo - surely you wouldn't want the position that is easiest to avoid donuts in to be the strongest starting position in your team?

Chopps

if your going bargain theory go fraser & petrie your spending under 400 k and both should make cash,

byes straight up mean pick rookie rucks who are going to play atleast the first three then you dont need to worry bout byes till rd 9 & 21.

i am not sold on the idea of going cheap, what do you do if one of your bargain rucks goes down. you have no money to get a better one

DT87

Quote from: Chopps on January 16, 2011, 02:26:29 PMi am not sold on the idea of going cheap, what do you do if one of your bargain rucks goes down. you have no money to get a better one

The same issue applies to cheapies in other positions. You pretty much have to start two cheapies in every other position, so I don't see why doing the same in the rucks is a bad idea.

nick1408

A reason I have steered away from Fraser is due to me having Zac Smith lined up as a bench ruck.  Part of this setup is to have all four playing so you need to select bench rucks who are playing.  Zac Smith seems like the most likely to get a game to me out of all the new rucks

Justin Bieber

Now I get why you chose Seaby.... To balance the rucks out. Lets just hope he's accustomed to the Sydney gameplan to have a bigger impact this season.

Chopps

Quote from: DT87 on January 16, 2011, 02:56:37 PM
Quote from: Chopps on January 16, 2011, 02:26:29 PMi am not sold on the idea of going cheap, what do you do if one of your bargain rucks goes down. you have no money to get a better one

The same issue applies to cheapies in other positions. You pretty much have to start two cheapies in every other position, so I don't see why doing the same in the rucks is a bad idea.

you would have more starting bench players in other spots most people will have one on bench (smith) and probably one MPP so i guess you can move petrie in if need be

nick1408

I don't look specifically for MPP's.  I think you could potentially be shooting yourself in the foot. 

DT87

^ +1, I don't like any MPP strategy involving the rucks. As I've mentioned before, it is the easiest position to avoid donuts, so F/R MPP seems completely unnecessary to me. You wouldn't need to switch a forward into the rucks as cover if you had picked a decent cheap ruckman in your second bench spot instead of an MPP one who doesn't get many games.

I'm willing to pick both Fraser and Smith, though I haven't 100% locked in either of the two yet, mostly because I don't think Smith's job security is as good as most people are assuming. In Round 1 you know your other two rucks will be available to cover for them (as long as you pick a second bench ruck who is starting in Round 1), and I'll make sure that I have traded either Fraser or Smith out before the Round 9 bye. Also, you shouldn't let your bench picks determine your starting picks, it should be vice versa.

Chopps

who is going to be the 4 th ruck it may be me but i dont normally see people picking a 4th ruck that plays much and if they do play it covers the donut for a very low score. (which is better then nothing i guess)

nick1408

My bench rucks at the moment are Max Bailey and Zac Smith

Justin Bieber

Last season I can say Jackson saved me quite a bit later in the season with late withdrawals. Although his scores weren't great half the time, I'd take them over a donut anyday ;).