Junktimer's take: DEF: Rookies

Started by Junktimer, December 15, 2010, 01:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junktimer

Hello all, I'm gonna give my thoughts on what defence's rookies amongst supercoaches should look this year.
PLEASE NOTE 1) All prices are based on m0nty's fanplanner. 
2) As I will be talking about rookies who most haven't played a game, most of this will be purely opinionated, as such feedback would be lovely, and just remember that this guide is just one opinion, not gospel.
3) Due to the vast amount of rookies, only those worth considering I will write about.

OVERVIEW
This year in defence there are a few good rookie options.  First round options such as Dyson Heppell and Benny Jacobs will tempt many.  As well as mature agers such as Michael Coad, Cameron Richardson and Tendai Mzungu are likely to be good pick ups next season.

STRUCTURE 
This year in the backs I will probably go with a modest 3/1/2/4.  The reason I am likely to be going this is because in doing so I can save money to bolster other lines which don't have the cheap options the defence possesses.  However, there is a definitely a case for going for premium heavy in the backs.

FIRST-ROUND ROOKIES
First-round rookies are those who were taken in the first 25 picks this year, and thus are more expensive than 87k.  First-round rookies can normally be taken with more confidence than your standard rookie, though this is not always the case.

Dyson Heppell- (ESS) $177,200, Style- Josh Drummond
Dyson Heppell is a highly touted prospect of whom many supercoaches will be tempted to have a crack at in 2011.  Finished 3rd in the draft camp aptitude tests, and has been described as a steal for Essendon at pick 8.  Essendon do not have great depth, so Heppell is likely to get games, barring his groin niggle.  Likely to be MPP DEF/MID.  Close to a lock for me now.

Seb Tape- (GC) $152,500, Style- Sam Gilbert
Seb Tape is an athletic tall defender whose strengths as a footballer are his competitiveness, ground skills, selflessness, leadership potential, awareness and closing speed.  He is very good one on one and below his knees. He captained South Australia in the under-18 championships this year.  Due to Gold Coast's sweet defence filled with poached players, mature agers and others, it is hard to see him getting games next year.  Watch NAB cup, but likely to be a pass.

Billie Smedts- (GEE) $142,500, Style- Andrew Mackie
Billie Smedts is described as a composed medium defender/forward who is strong overhead and very competitive and an extremely agile player who takes the game on.  Geelong may take a rebuilding approach in 2011, meaning he may get a game, but there is also a good chance that the likes of Hunt, Mackie and Milburn will keep him from getting much games.  Watch NAB cup, 50/50.

Benny Jacobs- (PTA) $137,500, Style- Luke Hodge
Ben Jacobs is a left-footed medium defender who can play midfield or forward. A powerful type who kicks long and takes an excellent overhead mark. Can really find the ball and was outstanding at the under- 18 championships, winning All-Australian honours and averaging 29 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.  Under the Primus rebuild of Port Adelaide, is likely to get games next year as a medium or running defender.  Shortlist.

Matthew Watson- (CAR) $127,500, Style- Sam Gilbert
Matthew Watson is a left-footed tall defender with a penetrating kick and is strong in the air. He is composed with the ball in his hands and had a consistent under-18 championships, winning All-Australian honours and averaging 19 disposals and five marks.  Likely to get a game come round 1 despite KPP status as Carlton have been looking for that tall defensive option, watch NAB cup.

Cameron Guthrie- (GEE) $102,500, Style- Ryan O'Keefe
Cam Guthrie is a versatile medium defender who can play a lock-down role and win contested ball. Very consistent player who has clean hands and makes good decisions. Also a Vic Metro under-18 representative in 2010 where he averaged 13 disposals at 84 per cent efficiency.  Along with Billie Smedts, will try to crack his way into the Geelong defence, as it is an already strong unit, will watch NAB Cup.  I am not too sure about his chances next year, unlikely for me.   

Jamie Cripps- (STK) $97,500, Style- Heath Shaw
Jamie Cripps is a medium defender with excellent speed who takes the game on. Uses the ball well by foot and is sound defensively. Was an under-18 representative for WA, averaging 14 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.  Ross Lyon has a terrible history of playing first year players however, and due to this I don't rate his chances at playing next year in the solid defensive unit St. Kilda have.  Unlikely for me.

NON-DEBUTING ROOKIES
Non-debuting rookies may not be rookies in AFL terms, but still maintain their basement rookies price in Supercoach.  These players have the advantage of having already played a game of AFL, and being in the system for an extra year or two.

Dylan Grimes- (RIC) $106,200
Dylan Grimes played his first game of senior football in 2010 and though he only scored a modest 21, having played that first game gives him an advantage over a debutant.  Am unsure whether or not he will get consistent games next year, so I will watch NAB Cup, 50/50.

Will Young- (ADE) $87,500
Will Young will enter his 3rd year in the system having played two games this year.  Though they were at a very low average of 15.5, Young will enter 2011 with an extra TV (courtesy of Matty Lloyd) and the support from the Neil Craig and Crows defence.  Like Grimes, as he only played two games this year, it is hard to know whether he will get a consistent game, so I will watch preseason, it's a maybe from me.

Xavier Clarke- (BRI) $87,500
Xavier Clarke has scraped through to a 100+ game career. The 27-year old defender has never been a good supercoach player, his highest average for a season was in 2005 with an average of 78.  Despite this, if he can get his troublesome body right, he could be a valuable cash cow.  MPP capability he possesses helps.  Will watch pre season, its unlikely for me.

STANDARD ROOKIES
These are the rookies who are at basement price, those who were taken in the national draft after round 1 or pre season draft.  There is a large contrast between these picks, so you have to be careful when selecting them.

Michael Coad- (GC) $87,500
Michael Coad is a mature age key defender who Gold Coast picked up in the 2009 rookie draft.  He had many good years in the SANFL before he was picked up.  In 2010, his VFL stats were 20 disposals and 7 marks in 13 games.  I think despite Gold Coast's strong defence, he will still get games due to his mature body.  Definite short list.

Nicholas Duigan- (CAR) $87,500
Nicholas Duigan was at times dogged with injury in his years at Norwood, Nick was one of the first players selected in Norwood's league side where he provides rebound from defence, is a strong reliable overhead mark, demonstrates good decision making skills and is always offering his voice for encouragement and instruction.  Could be a smoky for coaches next year, and I agree with ossie's theory that clubs don't pick up mature agers for nothing.  Will watch the 26-year-old pre season.  50/50.

Peter Faulks- (FRE) $87,500
Peter Faulks is an extremely quick and strong tall defender, who spent 2007 and 2008 on the Sydney Swans' senior list. For his size, (195cm) shows amazing agility, and can take a towering mark. Named at full-back in the VFL team of the year.  The 22-year old could slot in to Freo's solid defence for 2011.  Will watch pre season, short list.

Michael Hibberd- (ESS) $87,500, Style- Luke Hodge
Michael Hibberd is a 20-year old draftee who in his second year in the VFL won the Fothergill-Round Medal in 2010 as the VFL's most promising player.  His strengths are his Speed, marking, courage, versatility, a good ball-winner, football smarts, and being a fierce competitor.  Should get an opportunity at the Bombers, short listed.  Will watch pre season.

Karmichael Hunt- (GC) $87,500
Karmichael Hunt made many headlines when we was picked up by the GC Suns.  His marketing value almost ensures him games for 2011, but his scoring potential is unknown.  The 24-year old rugby convert could be a chance for next year, though I think there may be better options.  Will watch how his skills are coming on during NAB Cup, 50/50.

Sam Iles- (GC) $87,500
Sam Iles is a half-back who was delisted by Collingwood at the end of 2008 after three seasons and seven senior games. He played 19 games with VFL club Box Hill in 2009 and finished third in the 2009 J.J. Liston Trophy, that competition's equivalent to the Brownlow Medal before being picked up by Gold Coast.  He then won the Gold Coast VFL Best and Fairest this year.  Gold Coast's wealth of defenders may prevent Iles from bursting on the scene on his second AFL journey, but with a solid pre season definitely has to be considered.

Angus Litherland- (HAW) $87,500, Style- Harry O'Brien
Angus Litherland is a tall defender with excellent closing speed and spoiling ability. He shows ability to rebound from defence.  He was a steal at pick 55 for the Hawks and could be a possibility for round 1.  Will watch his NAB Cup form, right now a 50/50.

Tendai Mzungu- (FRE) $87,500, Style- Greg Broughton
Tendai Mzungu is a 24-year old disciplined defender with strong rebounding skills. Regularly pushes through the middle and kicks goals as a half-back flanker. Very good endurance with a well built body. His 14.3 beep test and 3.01 sec 20m highlighted his athleticism.  Mzungu if he gets games, will be on many lists next year.  However there are many Fremantle defenders like him (running back type).  Despite this, he is a definite short list, close to a lock.

Paul Puopolo- (HAW) $87,500
Paul Puopolo is a small but strongly-built defender with excellent speed and the ability to break the lines. Transformed himself into one of the most reliable back pocket/run-with players in the SANFL last season, and did number on fancied Woodville-West Torrens wingman Jared Polec in the second half of their preliminary final.  Taken by Hawthorn, whose defence was lacking ability, and could slot in nicely for round 1.  Definite shortlist, will watch pre season.

Bryce Retzlaff- (BRI) $87,500
Bryce Retzlaff is a 19 year-old Queenslander who endured an injury-interrupted year. He played the last six senior games for Labrador in the local QAFL where he played between centre half-back and centre half-forward - showing plenty of promise in both positions.  He was best on ground in the Shanghai Showdown played against Melbourne.  The huge man (195cm) could well play round 1, and is an MPP (F/B) option.  Will watch pre season, short list.

Cameron Richardson- (NM) $87,500, Style- Andrew Mackie
Cameron Richardson is a hard-running medium defender who makes good decisions on when to mark or spoil. Was a dual best and fairest winner in the Ballarat league in 2006 and in 2008.  Dominated for North Ballarat last year, getting in the best 14 out of 21 times.  Will be on most benches next year, as he is a mature running defender at basement price, can't ask for much more.  Close to a lock. 

Daniel Talia- (ADE) $87,500, Style- Nick Riewoldt
Daniel Talia is a versatile key position player who can play well at either end. Clean hands and great endurance for his size are strengths. Hamstring injury bought his 2008 season to an early end and although nearly fully recovered, was unable to participate at Draft Camp. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009, winning All-Australian honours.  Didn't play a game in 2010 for Adelaide.  Talia is an MPP option who is a good chance to play next year, but still may need development.  Will watch pre season, a 50/50 for me.

Josh Toy- (GC) $87,500
Josh Toy has been said to be a lock for coaches next season.  A running half back who is said to have been a top 3 draft pick this season had he not already been picked up by Gold Coast.  The only thing that is scary for coaches is Gold Coast's strong defence, which features many running half backs.  Overall, he can be taken with a lot of confidence.

Blayne Wilson- (WCE) $87,500, Style- Brian Lake
Blayne Wilson is a strong-marking medium defender who reads the game very well across half-back and uses the ball effectively. Earned All-Australian honours in 2009 and was consistent for WA at under-18 level this year, averaging 18 disposals at 78 per cent efficiency and five marks.  Wilson was shattered when he was overlooked during the national draft, but was taken pick 2 in the pre season draft.  Very underhyped and could be a unique option as West Coast's key defenders in my opinion are very average meaning he could get a game from Round 1.  50/50.

Max Otten- (SYD) $77,400, Style- Grant Birchall
Max Otten is a left-footed tall defender who reads the game very well and makes good decisions with the ball. He provides good run from defence and played for Vic Metro in the under-18 championships.  Max was also over looked in the National Draft but was taken pick 21 in the rookie draft.  Brother of Andy, and plays a similar role.  A very cheap option, if he has a good pre season you never know. 

Justin Bieber

Another brilliant and in-depth piece JT.

I've had my eye on quite a few of them.

Heppell should get most games and is a near lock for me. Being touted as a top 5 and slipping to 8 is a massive bargain for what he has shown!! Hibberd is a smokie 8). Read an article on him in the local paper and might be a good one to slip in the backline which needs work.

Junktimer

thanks Hello

yeah Heppell is a lock, will assess Hibby's preseason

ossie85

Fletch74

Great stuff JT, you might want to include Michael Hibberd in there too. :)

Junktimer

thanks fellas

fletch he's there, standard rookie section

Fletch74

Quote from: Junktimer on December 15, 2010, 09:11:10 AM
thanks fellas

fletch he's there, standard rookie section
Sorry, didn't read through them in detail... Was going to do that later when I had some time. Well done ;)

Barlow 21

Quote from: Hellopplz on December 15, 2010, 01:39:52 AM
Another brilliant and in-depth piece JT.

I've had my eye on quite a few of them.

Heppell should get most games and is a near lock for me. Being touted as a top 5 and slipping to 8 is a massive bargain for what he has shown!! Hibberd is a smokie 8). Read an article on him in the local paper and might be a good one to slip in the backline which needs work.
+1
Hirdy said though Heppell may not get games early. :P

SydneyRox

Awesome work JT.

Some good value to be had here

MajorLazer

Hope Heppell does play games because I will most likely take him. Also take Jacobs as he should play games for Port.

Junktimer

j959

Junktimer

tferrier18

Junktimer