The Gary Ablett Jnr Thread

Started by ossie85, August 30, 2010, 10:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Gary Ablett jnr

2010 Stats
Games: 21
Total Score: 2727 (Ranked 3rd overall, 3rd amongst midfielders)
Average Score: 129.86 (Ranked 2nd overall, 2nd amongst midfielders)
High: 203 (Round 7)
Low: 76 (Round 16)
Standard Deviation: 32.84
Centuries: 17 out of 21
Starting Price: $744,200
High Price: $772,500 (round 8 )
Lowest Price: $528,400 (round 17)

Summary:
Ablett jnr at the start of 2010 was everyone's must have. People who said at the start of 2009 that Mr. Ablett could not possibly replicate 2008 were humbled, and quietly slotted him in there 2010 side, not wanting to repeat that mistake. But, was this year a mistake? Ablett's first half of the year was sensational, averaging 140.1 across the first 11 rounds. He did, however, come back down to earth averaging 120.55 over the last 11 rounds. While his last half was far from terrible, in fact still well in elite territory, people had come to expect more, and subsequently thought of him no longer as a permanent captain with the likes of Brendon Goddard, Dane Swan and Joel Selwood outscoring Ablett, attention turned to them. However, his stunning round 22 score of 176 - his 2nd highest score of the year - reminded everyone bluntly why he was in their team.

The Crystal Ball:
Based on last year's magic number

Price: $689,700 (a drop of $54,500 from last year)
Position: Midfield (given he kicked 44 goals, he is a chance to be named a MPP FWD/MID)

The bigger question from Ablett is whether he will play for the Cats or the Suns, and whether this will hinder/improve his scoring output in 2011. I'm of the impression, and I've been proved wrong many times before, that Ablett's output will still be strong if the Son of God became a Sun of Gold, but his superstar efforts will come less frequent with presumably less midfield support. Perhaps he will play more of a forward role?

Ablett has played a significant chunk in the forward line this year, but I doubt it will be enough for him to classified as a multi-positional player. If, by some miracle, he is considered a forward, I'll be hoping on him hard.

Decision:

Though Ablett's output decreased in 2010, and may again in 2011, I can't see him failing dramatically and wouldn't begrudge anyone selecting the little master, and I may select him also! Long way until 2011 approaches us, but he is the quintessential premium, and cheaper than his starting price of the last few years, but still maybe overpriced. Worthy person to structure your team around.

I've started this thread for a general discussion for 2011, I plan to do these frequently for a variety of players.

So, are you selecting GAJ, or do you feel Swan or Goddard are more worthy of your tight budget?

Blueboys

I thought this was about GAJ moving to GC!  ;D hahaha

CFC 1979

Nuffman

If he goes to the Suns, then I won't pick him, and people can bag me about it.

If he get named MPP mid/fwd, I'll think about it.

If he stays at Geelong, I'll think about it.

If he gets named MPP mid/fwd and stays at Geelong, LOCKED!

Prospector_1

Great post, ossie, keep 'em up.

If you keep the titles really similar for each player, we'll have a great reference for 2011 picks running up to next season.

ossie85

Quote from: Prospector_1 on August 30, 2010, 11:58:34 AM
Great post, ossie, keep 'em up.

If you keep the titles really similar for each player, we'll have a great reference for 2011 picks running up to next season.

Exactly what I was planning to do Pros :)

Anyone think a (an assumed) lack of midfield support at Gold Coast could hurt?

RiOtChEsS

yeah top post ;) may hurt a little but definitely will be in my team

Blueboys

[/quote]

Depends on who the suns get in the mid, for sure he had better protection at the cats but so did Judd at West Coast...

GAJ will have a lot to prove at the suns and will still score 100+ no problems there.... ;D

hawk_88

Quote from: Nuffman on August 30, 2010, 11:30:10 AM
If he goes to the Suns, then I won't pick him, and people can bag me about it.

If he get named MPP mid/fwd, I'll think about it.

If he stays at Geelong, I'll think about it.

If he gets named MPP mid/fwd and stays at Geelong, LOCKED!

My thoughts exactly.

Cambo

Will definatly be a spot in my team for him where ever he ends up, but unlike this year I may wait a few rounds and watch his price before bringing him in....

Alex7089

I am not picking him whether he leaves or not. I will probably pick up Goddard or Swan or both.
I feel there will be a lot of super premiums in some teams die to the wide array of bargains and cash cows for next year.

Torress

he is a lock in my team as long as he is fit and healthy. whatever team he plays for he is in. he is perfect for fantasy with his efficient skills and contested ball. gets the clearances, kicks the goals and he never stops putting in.  if he is avail as a forward??? bommshankalanka!!!
i think we might see chappy only a mid next year and gazza the mpp - chappy been mostly running thru the mid this season.
yea gazza preferred over GOD, swan and hodge for me - he is a jet!
if i were a ''real'' coach, i'd pencil in sandi over him tho - can't stop that beast!!!

ossie85

I have a feeling the All-Aus selectors might choose him as a forward. It would make a lot more sense than naming Swan as a forward last year

Justin Bieber

Quote from: ossie85 on August 30, 2010, 12:03:26 PM
It would. Doesn't have the Bartel, Selwood, Corey, Kelly, etc around him for support. Will be carrying a much heavier load next year if he moves. Much more dependant on him which could either make him take a step back or a step forward if he can handle it.

Master Q

If he goes to the Suns, I won't take him at the START.

If he goes to Geelong maybe, If he is a Mid/Fwd at Geelong, Def.