Should there be a 'home' team advantage in finals?

Started by ossie85, July 07, 2010, 10:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Something that annoys me about SC (and DT) finals system is that there is no advantage in ladder position.

For instance, in one of my leagues I'm looking a decent chance to finish 1st, and another team looking to finish 4th. Overall, the team that looks they'll finish 4th has been better than I have, just been unlucky in some league matches.

I'd much rather play the 2nd or 3rd team! But no, they get lucky while I have to contend with the highest scoring team.

My point being, should the 'home' team get say a 100 point advantage? So in week one of finals 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th would get a 100 point head start? (Obviously the extra 100 points wouldn't count in the overall rankings)

Master Q

Yes I like that idea, but I think it should be

1 & 2 - 100 Point Advantage

5 & 6 - 50 Point Advantage

thatguy

that is a good idea.
all u need to do is finish in the top 4! not like you are going to travel to Subi or anything!

tom_scully

Quote from: ossie85 on July 07, 2010, 10:44:42 AM

Something that annoys me about SC (and DT) finals system is that there is no advantage in ladder position.

For instance, in one of my leagues I'm looking a decent chance to finish 1st, and another team looking to finish 4th. Overall, the team that looks they'll finish 4th has been better than I have, just been unlucky in some league matches.

I'd much rather play the 2nd or 3rd team! But no, they get lucky while I have to contend with the highest scoring team.

My point being, should the 'home' team get say a 100 point advantage? So in week one of finals 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th would get a 100 point head start? (Obviously the extra 100 points wouldn't count in the overall rankings)
Why don't you tank a game or two and finsh 2nd or 3rd???

ossie85

Because I have 2 other leagues to worry about :)

CFC 1979

remember last year when saints rested 7 on the first final day

a lot of top teams were thrashed and didn't recover

i reckon that next year nobody should be allowed to veiw other teams.
this is where a lot of guys are getting the jump on other teams late in the year

scorgasms

I agree there should be a better advantage, I did however finnish 6th a couple of years back and drew with seventh, i automaticly went through.

Cambo

Quote from: ossie85 on July 07, 2010, 10:44:42 AM

;D ;D ;D I expect a lot better from you Ossie, being a Pies supporter.  Wanting a handicap system  ???  because you arnt feeling confident is just a joke. 

Im going to finish first in both my leagues but wouldnt dream of wanting a points start.  Its all about being best on the day so suck it up.... 8)

ossie85

You're saying you wouldn't be annoyed if Collingwood finished 1st and Fremantle finished 4th, yet decided to play the game in Subiaco? Not a perfect analogy, but still!

Cambo

I understand what your trying to say but I feel you cant compare the two senarios. The reward for being in the top 4 is the double chance.  The reward for finishing 1st is simply bragging rights  ;) ;D

Torress

1st thing i thought when i heard this is that its impossible. There is money on the line for overall and weekly prizes - getting a free 100 point advantage is ridiculous.
u get a 2nd chance - thats a massive advantage considering 12 other teams don't get the luxury.

ossie85

You get the 2nd chance and home advantage for finishing top 2 in the actual AFL. Yet in fantasy football there is no advantage to finishing 1st or 4th.

And I said initially, that the bonus 100 points or whatever should only count in the league matches, not for the overall prize.

poita

Quote from: ossie85 on July 12, 2010, 12:54:45 PM

You get the 2nd chance and home advantage for finishing top 2 in the actual AFL. Yet in fantasy football there is no advantage to finishing 1st or 4th.

Is that like the home ground advantage that St Kilda would get for finishing second and playing Collingwood at the MCG, ie Collingwood's home ground?

Blueboys

I agree with all the posted above! I come 1st last year and will be 1st -4th this year too which counts for nothing except the 2nd chance.

Most home teams in the finals at home ground (They say is worth 2-3 goals) with the supports behind them.

Maybe a points bonus system for finishing 1-8. Even extra trades for finishing in the top 4 would work for me!  ;D

Torress

if this somehow actually happened ppl would be trading too much to finish top 4. i think ppl saying this is a good idea must be low on trades or something!!