Warning to those looking at picking up Pod's and Rockliff

Started by chatters24, April 23, 2010, 08:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatters24

Just a warning to those looking at trading down a fit player who is currently playing (such as Dander, Balla or Warren) for a rookie such as Pod's and Rockliff. Have a look at what has happened to Moles and in particular Duncan of whom many people who have decided to bring into their side when they traded Hall after 2 rounds due to two scores below expectations. Sure the rookies might be cheap and tempting, but on any given Thursday their name more so than older and more estabilished players can appear in that little "out" column that no one wishes to see their players in. Just a warning, mind you some people will never learn.

GinoGod

sid3bysid3

yep... maybe only if your rookie bench players arent playing... then you may need to bring them in to cover 'outs' alot of people talking about trading for settled players.
silly... meds, balla, hall, zieb, danger are all better scorers and more secure than these rookies.

definately agree!

GinoGod

exactly... its only been 4 games, these players will come good when it counts

jr0ck88

Never a good idea to trade away your 250k and higher picks for rookies early on unless a)  there are on your bench or injured, or b) you definietly have good emergencies to cover them, and genuinely believe they will score better than the player you've traded away.

elxam

not only trading away established players but, worse, getting rookies with no job security

Bluke

It should be noted that some rookies have better job security than others. For example, Jack Trengrove or Dustin Martin are more likely to get a game than Duncan, Pods or JKT.

snagadelic

yeah well it all depends on your particular situation, and also i think people are forgetting that you can trade to the midfield this year, i see this as a massive change this year, for me ive got alot of dual position players so it allowed me to trade lockyer to pods because ive got heaps of cover ie dangerfield ziebell and can sub between the mids and forwards, i think it will work ok, i reckon the rule change allows for a different theory and i have used alot of trades this year 6 already!!!

If Only...

Snag - don't forget that you can only swap those who are actually dual positioners though.  Being able to switch danger and zbell between the positions will only help you if one of THOSE PLAYERS get injured.  All it will do is allow you to pick which place has the injured player so that you can place them where you have more cover.

jr0ck88

Yeah I have 2 MPP's in my midfield (JZ and PD), and about fifty down forward. Its really helped with covering injuries and trading (structuring m FWD line in particular) so far.

On job security for Pods and Rockliff:

Rockliff is a second year player now and has more than proven himself at Reserves level. Has been given games and performed well in a winning team, so it will be interesting to see how his spot hold up when his team is losing and he isnt getting those cheap touches on the wing. I like his safety though; Im now a proud owner of him.

Podsi. What can you say? Geelong might have won 3-straight flags if he was around in 08. One game of the 3 tall setup has showed great promise, mostly on the back of his performances. He is 28, a cult figure, and a gun. Id say if the 3 tall setup isnt working then Hawkins would get the chop first. Podsi is a safe go. I have him too now.

jr0ck88

If Only - Say Chapman gets injured and you already have the gun forwards (say, O Keefe, Brown, Pavlich, Higgins) and theres nobody you feel will fill his boots, the MPP rule also allows you to sub him into your midfield for say Danger, then trade Chappy sideways for say Ablett. 

If Only...

This be true jrock - good point.  In this case I think he was talking more in terms of covering donuts though.

imessenger

Anyone remember Beau Muston last year?? big  let down, will not be making the same mistake again...

ossie85

Quote from: imessenger on April 24, 2010, 04:15:16 AM
Anyone remember Beau Muston last year?? big  let down, will not be making the same mistake again...

I also remember Liam Anthony

ELLsendon